The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Dreamlinux 5.0. In other news: Softedia introduced the new Cinnamon desktop environment made by Linux Mint's developer; Softedia introduced Ubuntu YouTube Scope and Lens for Unity; Linus Torvalds announced the release of Linux kernel 3.2. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about MKVToolNix 5.2.1, Gentoo Linux 12.0, digiKam 2.5.0, Dreamlinux 5.0, Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC2, phpBB 3.0.10, FreeDOS 1.1, GNOME Nettool 3.0.1, Linux kernel 3.1.7, Redo Backup and Recovery 1.0.2, FreeBSD 8.0.3, Alpine Linux 2.3.3, FFmpeg 0.9.1, KDE SC 4.8 RC2, Tails 0.10, Calibre 0.8.34, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a very nice tutorial about how to install Firefox 10 on the Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 11.04 operating systems. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Other News: Cinnamon, YouTube Scope and Lens for Unity, and Linux kernel 3.2
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Canonical Will Present Exclusive Ubuntu Concept Design at CES, and more...
· Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 10 in Ubuntu 11.10 and 11.04
· Video Clip of the Week: YouTube Unity Lens for Ubuntu
· New Distributions: Calculate Media Center 11.12, Pear OS Linux Debian Alpha 1, Live Voyager 11.10, and more...
· Distributions Updated Last Week: Parted Magic 2011_12_30, openSUSE Edu Li-f-e 12.1, and more...
· Development Releases: Chrome OS 1.7.963 RC, Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.11-43, EeeMC 12.04.25 Beta, and more...
On January 1st, the Dreamlinux developers proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Dreamlinux 5.0 operating system. With a Mac OS X-like user interface, the Debian Wheezy powered distro features Linux kernel 3.1, Xfce 4.8, updated installed, safe software updates through dist-upgrade, an exclusive boot system for faster startups, and 100% Debian Testing compatibility.
Highlights of Dreamlinux 5.0:
· Based on Debian 7 Wheezy (testing);
· Linux Kernel 3.1;
· XFCE 4.8 desktop environment;
· Softmaker office suite (includes Planmaker, Presentations and Textmaker and MS Office documents compatiblity);
· Chromium web browser;
· SMPlayer media player (including all the necessary multimedia codecs);
· Inkscape SVG graphics editor;
· The GIMP image editor;
· Imagination DVD Slideshow Maker;
· Shotwell Photo Manager;
· Ristretto image visualizer;
· FoxitReader PDF viewer;
· In-house, easy-to-use, simple, really fast, two-steps graphic installer;
· MKDistro, in-house CLI distro builder software to build Dreamlinux or Debian derivatives;
· Music Player Daemon music server;
· MiniDLNA media server;
· Apache 2;
· PHP 5;
· Bluetooth support;
· Avahi-Daemon (Bonjour);
· Ruby Lua;
Download Dreamlinux 5.0 now from Softpedia.
· On January 2nd, Clement Lefebvre proudly announced the availability of the unique Cinnamon project, a GNOME 3 desktop environment fork which offers a traditional layout, its easy to use, powerful, flexible, and provides advanced features. If you don't like Ubuntu's Unity and/or the controversial GNOME 3 desktop environment, then the jaw-dropping and beautiful Cinnamon desktop environment, forged by the creator of the popular Linux Mint operating system, Clement Lefebvre, is for you. Read more about it here.
· On January 4th, Softpedia introduced the YouTube Lens and Scope, two unique Ubuntu Unity Dash plugins that allows users to quickly search, filter and access videos from the popular YouTube website. The best feature of all is that the YouTube videos can be watched in the popular VLC (VideoLan Client) media player application, instead of a web browser. Read more about it here.
· On January 4th, Linus Torvalds announced the immediate availability for download of Linux kernel 3.2. Among the new features incorporated in Linux kernel 3.2 we can mention better support for large files by supporting block sizes bigger than 4KB and up to 1MB in EXT4, upper limits of CPU time can now be set in the process scheduler, lots of Btrfs improvements, and much more. Linux kernel 3.2 also brings lots of improvements for various supported filesystems, such as EXT3, CIFS, JFFS2, EXOFS, NFS, GFS2, and SQUASHFS. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· MKVToolNix 5.2.1 Available for Download
· Gentoo Linux 12.0 Has Kernel 3.1.5, Firefox 9, Amarok 2.5
· digiKam 2.5.0 Has NSFW Feature
· Dreamlinux 5.0 Screenshot Tour
· Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC2 Fixes Persistence Options
· phpBB 3.0.10 Officially Announced
· Announcing Pear OS Linux Debian Edition
· FreeDOS Resurrected, Version 1.1 Released
· GNOME Nettool 3.0.1 Available for Download
· Linux kernel 3.1.7 Is Available for Download
· Debian Gets FFmpeg Security Updates
· Pear OS Linux Debian Edition Screenshot Tour
· Ubuntu Gets Ghostscript Security Update
· Canonical Will Present Exclusive Ubuntu Concept Design at CES
· Redo Backup and Recovery 1.0.2 Officially Announced
· FreeBSD 8.0.3 Fixes NTFS Volume Import
· Alpine Linux 2.3.3 Has Linux Kernel 3.0.14
· GNOME Shell and Mutter Reach Version 3.3.3
· FFmpeg 0.9.1 Available for Download
· KDE SC 4.8 Will Be Released In Two Weeks
· New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.04 LTS
· Tails 0.10 Has Linux Kernel 3.1.6
· Ubuntu Received FFmpeg Security Updates
· Calibre 0.8.34 Has Updated Apple Driver
· Introducing LibreCAD: Free 2D CAD Application
· Ubuntu One Files App Available for iPhone
· Introducing Ubuntu Binary Clock Lens for Unity
Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 10 in Ubuntu 11.10 and 11.04
· The following tutorial will teach all Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) and Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) users how to update their systems to the Mozilla Firefox 10.0 web browser.
Mozilla Firefox 10 will bring features such as implementation of Anti-Aliasing for WebGL, the forward button is hidden by default and it will active when you navigate back, implementation of Full Screen APIs to easily build full-screen web apps, support for CSS3 3D-Transform, CSS properties support, element for HTML5 bi-directional text isolation, CSS Style Inspector, and IndexedDB APIs.
Read the entire tutorial here.
Video Clip of the Week: YouTube Unity Lens for Ubuntu
· For this week we've posted a 1080p high-definition video clip that showcases the Ubuntu YouTube Lens and Scope plugin for Unity. The video has 40 seconds, and it was posted by omgubuntu.
· Calculate Media Center 11.12
· Salix OS KDE Live 13.37 Beta 2
· Pear OS Linux Debian Alpha 1
· Live Voyager 11.10
· Roblinux 126.96.36.199
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· Parted Magic 2011_12_30
· ExTiX 9
· siduction 11.1
· aptosid 2011-03
· openSUSE Edu Li-f-e 12.1
· illume OS 1.0.1
· Backbox Linux 2.01
· Gentoo Linux LiveDVD 12.0
· Redo Backup and Recovery 1.0.2
· Foresight Linux 2.5.2
· VESTA 2.4
· Tails 0.10
· Chrome OS 1.7.963 RC
· Salix OS Xfce Live 13.37 RC2
· Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.11-43
· Linux KDuXP 1.99 Beta 4
· DRBL Live Xfce 1.0.7-11
· EeeMC 12.04.25 Beta
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.