The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Snowlinux 2, Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Linux kernel 3.4 RC4, Mozilla Firefox 12.0, OpenSSH 6.0, Parted Magic 2012_04_21, Shutter 0.88.3, Linux kernel 3.3.4, gThumb 3.0.0, SeaMonkey 2.9, Mozilla Thunderbird 12.0, Macpup 528v2, ClearOS Community 6.2, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 Beta, Scientific Linux 5.8, Tiny Core Linux 4.5, Untangle 9.2.1, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, Edubuntu 12.04 LTS, Ubuntu Server 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, Calibre 0.8.49, Edubuntu 12.04 LTS, Lubuntu 12.04, Mythbuntu 12.04 LTS, Ubuntu Cloud Live 12.04, Proxmox VE 2.1, Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a nice tutorial about how to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin). The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On April 21st, Lars Torben Kremer proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Snowlinux 2 operating system. Dubbed Ice, Snowlinux 2 is based on the Debian 6 "Squeeze" operating system and it is powered by Linux kernel 2.6.32 and the GNOME 2.30 desktop environment.
Highlights of Snowlinux 2:
· Based on Debian 6 Squeeze;
· Linux kernel 2.6.32;
· GNOME 2.30.2;
· OpenJDK 6 Java;
· Rhythmbox replaces Banshee;
· New look and feel;
· Better installer (UUID in fstab, keyboard variants);
· Added contrib, debian-multimedia and non-free repositories;
· Terminal colors;
· Open as administrator;
· Open in terminal;
· Updated packages and software;
· Better software selection;
· Improved response and speed;
· System improvements;
Download Snowlinux 2 now from Softpedia.
On April 24th, Clement Lefebvre announced the immediate availability for download of the final and stable version of Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204, which incorporates three of the best and popular desktop environments available at the moment for the Linux platform: the beautiful and innovative Cinnamon 1.4, the functional and traditional MATE 1.2 and the rock-solid and lightweight Xfce 4.8.
Highlights of Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204:
· Linux kernel 3.2;
· MATE 1.2;
· Cinnamon 1.4;
· Xfce 4.8;
· MDM login manager;
· Yahoo search engine;
· Includes Update Pack 4;
· Hybrid ISO images.
Download Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204 MATE/Cinnamon now from Softpedia.
Download Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204 Xfce now from Softpedia.
On April 26th, Canonical proudly announced the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system. Powered by Linux kernel 3.2 and the GNOME 3.4 desktop environment, with the powerful and greatly improved Unity interface on top of it, the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) release brings overall improvements, updated apps, and new features.
Highlights of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
· Unity 3D interface 5.10;
· Unity 2D interface 5.10;
· GNOME 3.4.1;
· Linux kernel 3.2.12;
· X.Org 7.6;
· Xorg Server 1.11.4;
· Upstart 1.5;
· GCC 4.6.3 toolchain;
· Python 2.7.3 and Python 3.2.3;
· Compiz Fusion 0.9.7.6.
Download Ubuntu 12.04 LTS now from Softpedia.
Also on April 26th, Canonical announced the immediate availability of their operating system for the audio, video, and graphic enthusiast or professional, Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS. Just like Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu Studio 12.04 is also an LTS (Long Term Support) release, but supported for only three years, until April 2015.
Highlights of Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS:
· Based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS;
· Long Term Support release, supported for three years;
· Live DVD ISO image;
· GUI-based installation;
· lowlatency Linux kernel 3.2.14;
· Xfce 4.8 desktop environment;
· JACK <-> Pulse Audio bridging enabled by default;
· New icons, theme, wallpapers, and default font;
· LightDM is the default login manager;
· Documented work flows and new application choices for better user support;
· Restructured menu for improved work flow support;
· Better multi-monitor functionality via ARandR;
· mudita24 replaced envycontrol24, for audio interfaces with ice1712 chip.
Download Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS now from Softpedia.
· Even if the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system includes a smarter installer, we've created the following tutorial to teach both Linux newcomers and existing Ubuntu users how to install the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system on their personal computer.
This tutorial is also addressed to people who have just heard about Ubuntu, those who have never installed Ubuntu before and want to test it, but don't know how. The following guide will make things very simple for you, but if you get stuck somewhere in the middle of the installation and you need help, do not hesitate to use our commenting system at the end of the article.
Read the complete tutorial here.
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.