The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: SystemRescueCd 2.5.0, Descent|OS 2.1 and Dream Studio 11.10. In other news: the final and stable version of Transmission 2.50 BitTorrent client has been released; the GNOME Project announced the first Beta of the upcoming GNOME 3.4 desktop environment. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Skolelinux 6.0.4 RC1, Parted Magic 2012_2_19, PCLinuxOS Phoenix 2012.02, Phoronix Test Suite 3.8 Milestone 2, FreeBSD 8.3 Beta 1, Qbittorrent 2.9.5, Linux Kernel 3.2.7, Porteus 1.2 RC1, Tango Studio 1.2, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.8, Mageia 2 Beta 1, Cooking Lens for Unity, ConnochaetOS 0.9.1, DragonFly BSD 3.0.1, GNOME Shell 3.4 Beta 1. SliTaz 4.0 RC1, Descent|OS 2.1, PacketFence 3.2.0, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Beta 1, Dream Studio 11.10, Calibre 0.8.41, Gnash 0.8.10, Ultimate Edition 3.0.1, Wine 1.4 RC5, Tiny Core Linux 4.4 RC1, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a very nice tutorial about how to install VLC 2.0 on Ubuntu 11.10. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On February 21st, François Dupoux proudly announced the immediate availability for download of a major release of his popular SystemRescueCd Linux-based operating system for rescue and recovery tasks. The SystemRescueCd 2.5.0 Live CD Linux operating system for rescue tasks, includes the latest stable version of the Linux kernel, updated version of GParted and NTFS3G applications, and Firefox was replaced with Midori.
Highlights of SystemRescueCd 2.5.0:
· Updated the standard Linux kernel package to version 3.0.21 (with rescuecd and rescue64); · Updated the alternative Linux kernel packages to version 3.2.6 (with altker32 and altker64); · Updated NTFS3G to version 2012.1.15; · Replaced ntfsprogs with NTFS3G; · Updated btrfs-progs from the latest Git version; · Updated e2fsprogs to version 1.42; · Updated GParted to version 0.12.0; · Updated glibc library to version 2.13; · Updated GCC to version 4.4.6; · Updated linux-firmware package to version 20120125; · Added fdupes app to find duplicate files; · Mozilla Firefox was replaced with the Midori web browser to save space; · Partclone was updated to version 0.2.38; · TestDisk was updated to version 6.13; · GRUB2 boot loader was updated to version 1.99 RC2.
On February 23rd, Softpedia introduced a new Linux distribution based on the popular Ubuntu OS from Canonical, this time with a modernized GNOME 2 desktop environment. Descent|OS 2.1 is an operating system created and designed with simplicity in mind, for people new to computers, for those who want a decent and good-looking Linux distribution to feed their needs.
Even if it's based on Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal), Descent|OS uses the GNOME 2.32 desktop environment, but prettified and modernized as much as humanly possible, providing a cool mix of old and new technologies. The desktop of Descent|OS features a single customized panel situated at bottom, and the Docky dock-like app on the left side of the screen.
On February 24th, Dick MacInnis proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Dream Studio 11.10 operating system. Being based on the Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system, the brand-new Dream Studio 11.10 distribution has lots of new features and a beautified Unity-based desktop.
Highlights of Dream Studio 11.10:
· Based on Ubuntu 11.10; · Linux kernel 3.0.0; · New User Interface theme; · Support for the Unity desktop interface; · Added support for alternative desktop environments, such as GNOME 2, Openbox, LXDE and Xfce; · GTK3 enable by default; · Added Unity Run Lens; · Added Unity Books Lens; · Added Google Docs Lens; · Added Kazam screencasting app; · Added Shutter screenshot app; · Mozilla Firefox 10.0.2; · Mozilla Thunderbird 10.0.2; · covergloobus was replaced with Gnome-sushi for file previewing; · Lots of updated packages and bug fixes.
· On February 14th, the development team behind the famous Transmission torrent downloader app announced the final and stable release of Transmission 2.50, a major upgrade to the popular BitTorrent client, bringing lots of improvements in various areas, as well as assorted bug fixes. Transmission 2.50 will most probably be the default torrent client application for the upcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system, and other upcoming distros as well. Read more about it here.
· On February 24th, the GNOME Project announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the first Beta release of the upcoming GNOME 3.4 desktop environment, which brings assorted improvements and features. The GNOME 3.4 Beta 1 release is ready for testing and it brings updates to main components, such as GNOME Contacts, GNOME Control Center, GNOME Desktop, GNOME Disk Utility, GNOME Panel, GNOME Screensaver, GNOME Session, GNOME Settings Daemon, GNOME Shell, GNOME System Monitor, GNOME Themes Standard, Mousetweaks, and GNOME User Docs. Read more about it here.
Tutorial of the Week: How to Install VLC 2.0 on Ubuntu 11.10
· The VLC (VideoLAN) 2.0 media player has been released two days ago, on February 18th, brining an improved Graphical User Interface and amazing features, like the ability to open more media formats, professional HD and 10-bits codes, as well as the highly anticipated support for Blu-Ray.
VLC 2.0 on Ubuntu 11.10
Today's guide is for those of you who want to install the newly released VLC Media Player 2.0 on their Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system.
Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu on Android Video Presentation
· For this week we've posted an 1080p HD video clip that showcases the new Ubuntu for Android product from Canonical. The video has 3 minutes and 57 seconds, and it was posted by SoftpediaLinux. Submit to our channel now!