Welcome to the 182nd issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly!
The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Fuduntu 2012.1 and Linux Mint 12 KDE Release Candidate. In other news: Canonical showcased the Ubuntu TV concept at CES 2012; Canonical announces Ubuntu User Days in the weekend of 14-15 January. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about IPFire 2.11 Core 55, Tiny Core Linux 4.2.1, Porteus 1.1, GhosBSD 2.5 RC3, R.I.P. 13.6, Asturix 4, GnuCash 2.4.9, Astaro Product Manager 8.300, Zorin OS Lite 5.2, Scientific Linux 6.2 Beta 2, MySQL 5.5.20, PHP 5.3.9, Webconverger 11, Ubuntu SSH Lens for Unity, FreeBSD 9.0, Mageia 2 Alpha 3, Linux kernel 3.2.1, and much more. For this week we've also prepared an interesting review for the Gratuitous Space Battles game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Announced Distro: Linux Mint 12 KDE Release Candidate
· Other News: Canonical Showcases Ubuntu TV at CES 2012 and Ubuntu User Days: 14-15 January
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Ubuntu TV Features and Specifications, Fedora 17 Will Have GNOME 3.4, and more...
· Review of the Week: Gratuitous Space Battles
· Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu. TV for human beings
· New Distributions: BeakOS 1.7 and Lena Linux 3.0
· Distributions Updated Last Week: Tiny Core Linux 4.2.1, R.I.P. 13.6, Zorin OS Lite 5.2, and more...
· Development Releases: Skolelinux 6.0.3 Beta 2, Scientific Linux 6.2 Beta 2, Mageia 2 Alpha 3, and more...
On January 10th, Andrew Wyatt proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Fuduntu 2012.1 Linux operating system. Fuduntu 2012.1 is a maintenance release, featuring small improvements and fixing existing bugs. It is powered by Linux kernel 3.1.6, and has Chromium 16 web browser, as well as the latest Adobe Flash Player 188.8.131.52 pllugin.
Fuduntu 2012.1 also features Mozilla Firefox 9 and Mozilla Thunderbird 9 products, Xfce 4.8 and LibreOffice 3.4.3, all available in the default software repositories. The default desktop theme (Fuduntu Classic) and the font (Google Droid Sans) were also changed in this release, making Fuduntu more likeable.
Download Fuduntu 2012.1 now from Softpedia.
On January 11th, Clement Lefebvre announced the Release Candidate version of the upcoming Linux Mint 12 KDE operating system. Linux Mint 12 KDE Edition Release Candidate features updated applications, general improvements and new features, all to make your desktop experience more comfortable.
Highlights of Linux Mint 12 KDE RC:
· Linux kernel 3.0;
· Based on Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.7.4;
· Hybrid ISO image;
· Print to PDF;
Download Linux Mint 12 KDE RC now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should not be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.
· On January 9th, Softpedia has been informed that Canonical plans to make an exclusive demonstration of an Ubuntu TV and Ubuntu In-vehicle Infotainment (IVI) at CES 2012. This year at CES, Canonical’s goal was to demonstrate Ubuntu "inside" a wide mixture of devices and electronics in 2012. From TVs, mobile phones, tablets, cars, and more. Ubuntu TV has a user interface powered by the controversial Unity interface and allows users to view rent, buy, record, and play movies and TV shows. Read more about it here.
· On January 12th, Softpedia introduced the Ubuntu User Days event, which will take place from Saturday 13:30 UTC through Sunday 03:00 UTC on the Ubuntu Classroom IRC channel. Canonical created the Ubuntu User Days as a set of chat-based classes, distributed during a one day period, in order to teach the Ubuntu beginner or intermediate Linux users the basics of the Ubuntu operating systems. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· Firefox 9 Officially Lands in Ubuntu 11.10
· IPFire 2.11 Core 55 Fixes OpenSSL Security Issues
· Tiny Core Linux 4.2.1 Updates CorePlus
· Porteus 1.1 Has New Package Manager
· GhosBSD 2.5 RC3 Fixes CUPS Problems
· Ubuntu TV Features and Goals
· Ubuntu TV Specifications Detailed
· Linux Kernel 3.2 Officially Lands in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
· R.I.P. 13.6 Has Linux Kernel 3.2.0
· Asturix 4 Officially Announced
· Canonical Migrates Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and 10.10 to Firefox 9
· RHEL 6.x Updates BIND Daemon
· GnuCash 2.4.9 Fixes Known Bugs
· Edubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04 Will be LTS
· Google Chrome 18 Fixes RHEL 6 and Gentoo Issues
· Astaro Product Manager 8.300 Available for Download
· Fedora 17 Will Have GNOME 3.4
· Zorin OS Lite 5.2 Is Based on Lubuntu 11.04
· Scientific Linux 6.2 Beta 2 Updates OpenAFS
· MySQL 5.5.20 Fixes InnoDB Issues
· 4 New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
· PHP 5.3.9 Available for Download
· OMAP4 Kernel Vulnerabilities Fixed for Ubuntu 10.10
· EC2 Kernel Vulnerabilities Fixed for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
· Webconverger 11 Features Firefox 9
· SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Comes to Dell Cloud
· CES 2012: Ubuntu Rocks!
· Introducing Ubuntu SSH Lens for Unity
· FreeBSD 9.0 Supports OtherOS for PS3
· Mageia 2 Alpha 3 Has Linux Kernel 3.2
· Linux kernel 3.2.1 Is Available for Download
· OMAP4 Kernel Vulnerability Fixed for Ubuntu 11.04
· Several OMAP4 Vulnerabilities Fixed for Ubuntu 11.10
· Unity Gets Improved in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Review of the Week: Gratuitous Space Battles
· Gratuitous Space Battles is basically a tower defense game, but with a vast fleet of ships in outer space and no means to control anything after the simulation has started.
Gratuitous Space Battles is definitely something that gamers must try. A game that falls in no particular niche and still manages to impress is not something to be seen everyday. Although it will be a bit hard at first, I get the feeling that once you master the gameplay, a whole new world opens up and you won't be able to stop playing.
Read the complete review here.
Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu. TV for human beings
· For this week we've posted a 1080p high-definition video clip that showcases the Ubuntu TV device presented at CES 2012. The video has 1 minute and 50 seconds, and it was posted by celebrateubuntu.
· BeakOS 1.7
· Lena Linux 3.0
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· IPFire 2.11 Core 55
· Tiny Core Linux 4.2.1
· Parsidora 16
· TAS OS 11.12
· Snowlinux 1
· Porteus 1.1
· Asturix Business Edition 4.0
· Asturix Desktop Edition 4.0
· Asturix Lite Edition 4.0
· R.I.P. 13.6
· Astaro Security Gateway 8.300
· Zorin OS Lite 5.2
· Webconverger 11.0
· Skolelinux 6.0.3 Beta 2
· Scientific Linux 6.2 Beta 2
· GParted LiveCD 0.11.0-10
· VectorLinux Light 7.0 Beta 2
· Mageia 2 Alpha 3
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.