The first official details about the overhauled multiplayer mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 have been revealed by Activision, the game's publisher, together with its two developers, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games during the recent Call of Duty XP convention.
It's been a great weekend for Call of Duty fans, as not only did some of them get to visit the Call of Duty XP convention, while all of them are currently enjoying a double XP weekend in the Black Ops game, but now, Infinity Ward has released the full details about the new and improved multiplayer mode in the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
We already saw a presentation video leak before its official debut, and we presented the wealth of information within last Friday. Now, the official details about the online mode in Modern Warfare 3 has been revealed.
First and foremost, the developers of the game completely overhauled the killstreak system, which is now designed to encourage different play styles, as it rewards not just kills, like its name suggests, but also achieving objectives depending on the game mode.
A new weapon progression system is also included, which slowly rewards players with different upgrades for their weapons, like attachments, reticules or camouflage skins, as well as new weapon proficiencies, that allow you to upgrade the attributes of the weapons, like reduced recoil or faster reload.
A lot of fan favorite game modes return, while new ones are added, including Team Defender, which basically tasks you with protecting the flag of your team, or Kill Confirmed, which sees players collect dog tags from fallen enemies.
Special modes from Black Ops, including Gun Game or One in the Chamber, will arrive in Modern Warfare 3 as part of the options in the private matches mode, which also include things like Infection or Juggernaut.
Sixteen multiplayer maps are included in Modern Warfare 3, while dedicated servers have been confirmed once again for the PC version, at least.
For the full details about the revised Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 online mode, read on through the official description from Activision.
All-New Strike Packages: Killstreaks have been redesigned to reward different play styles and skill levels through unique Strike Packages. Completing game mode objectives now counts towards your Pointstreak progression. For the first time ever, kills are not the only way to earn Pointstreaks. This also allows Pointstreaks to cater to more unique play-styles:
- Assault Strike Package - Pointstreaks within this package chain and are designed for more direct damage (Predator, helicopter, etc), just like in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Your streak resets on death.
- Support Strike Package - Pointstreaks within this package do not chain. However, streaks do not reset on death. Streaks are more support oriented (UAV, Counter UAV, SAM turret, etc)
- Specialist Strike Package - Pointstreaks designed for the expert players. Rewards come in the form of additional perks. A player activates additional Perks as they progress in a Pointsreak. These perks last until death.
Strike Packages include (not limited to):
Streak count resets on death
5 kills: I.M.S.
9 kills: Strafe Run
9 kills: AH-6 Overwatch
10 kills: Assault Drone
15 kills: Juggernaut
Streak count does not reset on death
5 kills: Ballistic Vest
5 kills: Airdrop Trap
10 kills: Recon Drone
14 kills: Stealth Bomber
18 kills: Juggernaut Recon
Unlock one additional Perk at 2, 4, and 6 kill intervals for up to 3 additional Perks beyond the 3 Perks each player already has assigned to their custom load out at the beginning of a match
- Death Streaks make their return in Modern Warfare 3 and include (but not limited to):
4 - Juiced (run faster)
5 - Revenge (last person to kill you is visible on radar)
5 - Hollow Points (increased bullet damage for 1 kill)
6 - Dead Man's Hand (player falls into last stand with C4)
New Weapon Progressive Ranking System: MW3 evolves your gun progression
Modern Warfare 3 features more than 40 of the most high-speed weapons that are either in-use or being field-tested by special forces:
- Primary: Assault: SMG, LMG, Sniper Rifles, Shotguns and Riot Shield
- Secondary: Machine Pistols, Handguns and Launchers
- New weapon progression is designed to improve specific weapon leveling unlocks (attachments, reticules, and camos) and Weapon Proficiencies
- Weapon Proficiency allows players to specialize their weapons with new attributes (some unique to weapon classes)
- Proficiencies (not a comprehensive list):
Kick - Reduced recoil when firing
Attachments - Two attachments on Primary weapon
Focus - Reduced flinch when hit
Stability - Reduced sway when ADS
- Attachments (not a comprehensive list):
Red Dot Sight
Dual Scope (Close Range/Long Range Optics)
New Perks: - Recon - Explosive damage paints the target on the mini map
- Blind Eye - Undetectable by air support/sentries
- Assassin - Undetectable by UAV, portable radar, thermal, heartbeat
- Quickdraw - Faster aiming
- Stalker - Move faster while aiming
- Marksman - Identify targets at longer range
New Game Modes Fan favorite game modes make their return (Free-for-All, Team Death, Match, Domination, etc.), and a series of new modes make their introduction to the Modern Warfare series:
- Kill Confirmed - Collect dog tags from killed players. Prevent the other team from collecting yours
- Team Defender - Grab the flag and protect the flag carrier to increase your team's score
New Game Modes for Your Private Match - Infection - The infected kills enemies to recruit them for the infected team.
- Drop Zone - Hold the Drop Zone for Team Points and Care Packages.
- Team Juggernaut - With the support of a juggernaut, kill players on the opposing team. The first team to reach the score limit wins.
- Juggernaut - Kill the Juggernaut to become the new Juggernaut
- Gun Game - Be the first to dominate with every gun
- One in the Chamber - Gain ammo by eliminating enemies. Be the last to survive.
Customizable Game Modes for Private Match Private matches have been significantly enhanced to allow players to create new, customizable game modes in addition to the new modes for private matches (listed above) and share newly created games modes with friends.
Through ELITE, subscribers can vote on favourite new modes and those modes could make their way into public playlists.
Multiplayer Maps: 16 Maps - including the maps shown at Call of Duty XP:
Dedicated Servers: Modern Warfare 3 will support dedicated servers on Day 1. Players will be able to: browse, filter, favorite, and join Call of Duty: MW3 dedicated servers of their choice
Players will be able to setup their own server and administer their MW3 dedicated servers with direct control over features such as game rules, setup and ban lists.
Special Ops (Co-Operative Gameplay) Having made its introduction in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Special Ops makes its return in Modern Warfare 3 with a bevy of additions that innovate as a stand-alone mode, but also serves as an effective springboard into multiplayer action.
- Survival Mode: - Making its first appearance in MW3, Survival Mode is the New Special Ops mode in which players face wave upon wave of attacking enemies. Acquaint yourself with all 16 MP maps by playing through them on Survival Mode - a great way for players to prepare for online multiplayer.
- Mission Mode: Mission Mode makes its return, allowing players to team up with a friend locally or online for 16 new time-trial and objective-based missions.
- Ranking/Progression System: An independent rank progression system within the Special Ops based on the rank progression players encounter in multiplayer.
Check out a video presenting the main features in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3's new multiplayer mode below.