ownCloud Business 2012 and ownCloud Enterprise 2012 bring tons of improvements
ownCloud Inc., the company behind one of the most popular open source file sync and share alternative, released today its latest version of ownCloud 2012, Business and Enterprise.ownCloud solutions provide an advantage over an application such as Dropbox, which can be used to store data in third-party data centers. ownCloud can be deployed on site and integrated with the local security, storage, monitoring and reporting tools.
“Companies world-wide are beginning to realize that in order to better control the data that employees are sending in and out of their enterprise, they need more than an iPad app and third-party storage,” said Markus Rex, CEO, ownCloud.
“ownCloud provides companies the software they need to retain control while giving end users a user-friendly, device-independent way to get their job done,” he continued.
Highlights of ownCloud 2012, Business and Enterprise :
• The sync mechanism is now faster. It compares file and folder IDs, using a unique ID and algorithm, to identify which to sync, rather than time stamps;
• Administrators can now assign one or more admins to groups on the ownCloud system;
• Mounting external cloud storage (Dropbox, Google, Swift, S3, etc.) is now possible. Administrators can device if they can used by the users, a group, or specific individuals;
• Uploading a file with the same file name in the web interface will now offer the option to replace, rename or cancel the upload;
• Users can now provide more granular permissions when they share a file or folder, including create, update, delete and share rights, can set expiration dates for shared files;
• LDAP and AD sharing engine is now hardened and enhanced for larger implementation;
ownCloud bolsters with 650,000 users world-wide and with a solution that is easy to use like other similar products, such as Dropbox.
With the help of ownCloud, users can host their own data sync and share services on their own hardware and storage, use popular public hosting and storage offerings, or both – true hybrid cloud storage.