Apple has released an update to its digital media player, iTunes. The latest version includes the release notes for iTunes 8.1 (adding support for syncing with the 3G iPod shuffle and more), as well as its own changelog, which says that iTunes 8.1.1 adds support for renting HD movies while addressing issues with VoiceOver and syncing.
“iTunes 8.1 is now faster and more responsive,” according to Apple, which reminds users of the new additions to iTunes 8. “You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing,” the company says. “iTunes 8.1 provides many other improvements and bug fixes,” Apple points out. Those include:
• Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).
• Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.
• Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.
• Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.
• Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.
• Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.
• Includes many accessibility improvements.
• Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.
Speaking of the 8.1.1-specific additions, Apple reveals that the new iTunes version includes support for renting HD movies while providing a number of bug fixes. Issues with VoiceOver and syncing with iPhone or iPod touch have been addressed, Apple says.
iTunes 8.1.1 is available for free download for both Mac and Windows (including 64-bit version). Mac owners can update their version of iTunes by either launching Software Update from the Apple menu, selecting iTunes 8.1.1 and hitting the install button, or by downloading the new software using the link below. Windows users can also fire up Software Update to find the new version of iTunes as available for download, or they can download the standalone installer themselves using the second link below.
Download iTunes for Mac (Free)
Download iTunes for Windows (Free)
iTunes 8.1.1 Released – Download Here
Halo: The Master Chief Collection 20 GB Day One Patch Eliminates Need for Second Disc, Developer Claims
... so hot right now