grml 2012.05 RC1 Has Linux Kernel 3.3.6
The final release of grml 2012.05 will be available at the end of May
Michael Prokop announced last night, May 17th, the immediate availability for download and testing of the first Release Candidate of the upcoming grml 2012.05 Debian-based operating system.Dubbed Ponyhof and based on Debian Testing (15/05/2012), grml 2012.05 RC1 comes with the missing tools from the downsized 2011.12 release of grml, and the team revived the grml-small flavour. The final release of the grml 2012.05 Linux distribution is scheduled for the end of the month.
"Please test the ISOs and everything you usually use and report back, so we can complete the stable release soon. If no major problems come up, the next iteration will be the stable release, which is scheduled for end of May." - said Michael Prokop in the official announcement.
Highlights of grml 2012.05 RC1:
· Linux kernel 3.3.6 (with no additional modules);
· Added grml-hwinfo tool to retrive NUMA information from numactl;
· Re-added simplified support for brltty;
· Added support for the 9p-virtio filesystem, to mount DCS-directory (debs, configuration and scripts - see man grml-autoconfig for details);
· The ssh bootoption can be used to set a SSH password for the "grml" user and a new password for root;
· /media is now used as the default mount target;
· Removed the grml-feedback utility;
· Modified the end of the main syslinux config file with a few kB of lines made of # characters;
· Fixed lots of annoying bugs.
About grmlGrml is a live CD Linux distro based on Debian aimed mainly at system administrators. It's designed to run from the live CD and does not need a permanent installation.
Some use cases for Grml include system rescue, system and network administration, or an 'on-the-go' work environment. Grml comes with 2GB worth of packages included in the ISO and uses on-the-fly decompression to make them available to the user as needed.
Download grml 2012.05 RC1 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
Follow us on Google+