aptosid 2012-0 “Thanatos” Is Based on Linux Kernel 3.6
The distribution makes use of the Debian unstable branch
aptosid, an operating system based on the Debian GNU/Linux unstable branch, or sid, has now reached version 2012-01.The developers of aptosid want to be on the forefront regarding the definition of a rolling distribution. Users will get access to more than 30,000 free and open source packages for private, business or public use.
aptosid aims to be a full-featured Debian sid based live CD, with focus on hard disk installations, a clean upgrade path within sid, and additional hardware and software support.
aptosid 2012-01 is codenamed “Θάνατος,” which is the Greek word for Thanatos or Death. It's a distribution based on Linux kernel 3.6 and implements a large number of integration and stabilization fixes.
This means that some of the hardware has received special attention, such as the AMD Bulldozer or Intel Ivy-Bridge, and the Live system has been improved.
One the main benefits that stem from the integration of Linux kernel 3.6 is that the operating system also adapts ASPM heuristics for better power-saving and improved battery runtimes.
Highlight of aptosid 2012-01:
• The ext4 file system has gained “Big Allocation Blocks”
• Advanced power-saving features (RC6) and (limited) triple head support have been implemented;
• Initial support for Intel's GMA500, GMA600 and GMA3600 “Poulsbo” has been added;
• “Evergreen,” “Southern Islands” and “Trinity/Aruba” generations (Radeon HD5xxx, HD6xxx, HD7xxx) are now supported;
• Support for USB DisplayLink cards has been implemented using the new “udl” driver;
• Improved byte queue handling, “TCP buffer size controlling” and “CoDel” now reduce latencies;
• Atheros has added support for its AR6003 based USB and SDIO wlan cards through ath6kl;
• GPT and UEFI reliability have been improved, which allows the use of hard disks exceeding 2TB;
A complete list of new features and updated drivers for aptosid 2012-01 “Thanatos” can be found in the official announcement.
Download aptosid 2012-01 right now from Softpedia.
HOT RIGHT NOW