The distribution also comes with HTML Live Streaming support, among tons of other features
XBMC, an open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media that is available for multiple platforms, is now at version 12.After a few development versions, including three release candidates, the XBMC Media Center, codenamed Frodo, has finally reached version 12.
The developers of XBMC Media Center have always innovated and pushed the limits on what this amazing distribution can do. This time they've outdone themselves and introduced support for devices such Raspberry PI and Android.
[admark=1]As you might imagine, besides HD audio support (including DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD, via the new XBMC AudioEngine), Live TV and PVR support, h.264 10bit (aka Hi10P) video software decoding for anime, and improved AirPlay support across all platforms, this release features an amazing amount of changes and new features.
Highlights of XBMC Media Center 12:
• Added unified PVR backend framework and API for multiple PVR backend software from third-parties;
• PVR backend clients addons available for many popular third-party PVR backend software;
• Added addon API for homebrew DIY RGB LED Ambilight clone client software such as Boblight;
• Added support for screensavers written in Python;
• Enabled Dirty Regions rendering to redraw screen on single dirty region by default on all platforms;
• Improved mouse support, add better control for dragging of scroll bars, and click handling;
• Added software decoding of 10-bit depth H.264 profile (Hi10P) videos (requires around a core2duo or equivalent and up);
• Added HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) and M3U8 (Extended M3U) playlist support;
• Added support for direct playback of ISO image files for Blu-ray Disc media;
• Added option to set a default preference for subtitles and audio tracks based on language;
• TheTVDB.com (Multi-Lingual) TV Shows and Episode scraper have been improved to obtain both posters and banners for shows and seasons;
• Added dedicated AMLPlayer video player for hardware accelerated video decoding on AMLogic devices;
• All dependencies of HAL manager libraries have been removed from XBMC's code.
Users of this distribution should check out the official announcement for a comprehensive list of changes, updates, and new features.
Download XBMC Media Center 12 right now from Softpedia.