On June 14, Alexandre Julliard announced a new development version of the Wine app, which brought assorted bug fixes and improvements.The number of new features and bug fixes in the development version of Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) is rather small this time, mostly because it is approaching a stable version.
After month of lingering in the 1.5.x development version, the developers of Wine have jumped to 1.6.x and have announced that they have actually entered code freeze.
This means that no new features are accepted into the branch, and the team’s focus is now oriented towards fixing bugs. This is the reason why this latest release is so small, in comparison with all the others.
Highlights of Wine 1.6 RC2:
• configure --without-xml --with-dbus no longer fails because of bad AC_REQUIRE logic;
• wine-1.5.30 - "./configure --with-gnutls" no longer fails with gnutls-3.2.0;
• An option to use the C compiler to assemble files has been added;
• Errors are no longer printed when failing to delete a file;
• The SSL server name has been set in order to enable the SNI extension;
• test.winehq.com is now used for invalid certs tests.
Wine 1.6 RC2 also brings bug fixes for the following Windows games and tools: Multiwinia, Strong Bad's Cool Game, Perfect World International, SQLyog, Capella 7, CSI: Fatal Conspiracy, Nero 7, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008, Word 2003, Icebreakers, Shade: Wrath of Angels, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 2005, Soldier Of Fortune 3, Xara Designer Pro, and more.
More details about this release can be found in the official changelog.
Download Wine 1.6 RC2 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.