Vyatta Core, an operating system that can connect and secure physical networks as well as virtual and cloud computing infrastructures, is now at version 6.5.
Vyatta 6.5 open, software-based approach offers users a flexible, affordable alternative to proprietary, hardware-based routers, firewalls, and VPN devices.
This is one of the largest updates released in a while and almost 200 bugs have been fixed in this latest version, providing much needed stability and system integrity for enterprise-class deployments.
[ADMARk=1]Highlights of Vyatta Core 6.5:
• Support for Microsoft Hyper-V has been added;
• PBR allows incoming packets to be forwarded based on policies, rather than just on the destination address. This will enable the use of policies that selectively cause packets to take different paths based on defined criteria, such as source address, packet size, protocol, and so on;
• The quality of service has been improved by giving preferential treatment to bandwidth sensitive or high-priority traffic;
• The capital and operating expenses have been reduced by distributing select traffic among low-bandwidth, low-cost permanent paths and high-bandwidth, high-cost, switched paths;
• Virtual Tunnel Interface (VTI) support has been implemented. A VTI provides a termination point for a site-to-site IPsec VPN tunnel and allows it to behave like routable interfaces;
• BGP Multipath in Vyatta Network OS 6.5 now enables the installation of multiple BGP paths to a destination into the IP routing table;
• IPsec support for IPv6 using Internet key management protocol IKEv1 has been implemented. It will not deliver IPsec support for IPv6 using IKEv2, which will probably be added for both IPv4 and IPv6 in a subsequent release;
• The VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol) operational mode commands have been modified to improve usability and ensure the commands are consistent with the command structure used throughout Vyatta Network OS.
Check out the official announcement for a complete list of changes and updates.
Download Vyatta Core 6.5 right now from Softpedia.