Video Conferencing Software Ekiga 4.0 Finally Released
The present version has spent three years in the making
Ekiga, an open source SoftPhone, Video Conferencing and Instant Messenger application over the Internet, is now at version 4.0.Some of the users may know Ekiga by its previous name, GnomeMeeting. Nonetheless, it took the developers three years to release a new version after 3.2.
Ekiga 4.0 supports HD sound quality and video up to DVD size, and it's inter-operable with many other standard compliant software, hardware and service providers, as it uses major telephony standards, SIP and H.323.
This latest version of Ekiga has also been dubbed “The Victory Release,” for obvious reasons.
Highlights of Ekiga 4.0:
• The main window has received a major overhaul and the applications now use gnome icons instead of Ekiga's own;
• H264 and H263+ video plugins have been added again;
• New pulse audio plugin (in ptlib) and New audio codecs (SILK used by Skype and G.722.1 aka Siren 7) have been added;
• Support for handling multiple video streams (H.239) has been implemented;
• A spinner effect during ringing on the other party has been added;
• Tooltips to various windows and dialog boxes have been added;
• Jabber/XMPP and GStreamer fixes have been implemented;
• A crash that occurred when the other party's names were not UTF-8 valid has been fixed;
• A possible crash on invalid fields during LDAP edit dialog box has been repaired;
• The call history is now correctly ordered;
• The string capitalization in GUI according to HIG has been repaired;
• The menu is now changing accordingly when enabling or disabling accounts in the Account window;
• A useless Start hidden option from Preferences has been removed;
• An in-call window on missed call has been fixed;
• An intermediate icon is now used when changing status in roster.
A complete changelog can be found in the official announcement.
Download Ekiga 4.0 right now from Softpedia.
HOT RIGHT NOW