Mobile phone carrier Verizon Wireless is getting ready for the launch of a new software update for the BlackBerry Z10 devices on its network, namely OS version 10.1.0.2050.The wireless operator has already unveiled plans to make the update available to its users, although it did not offer specific info on when it would arrive on devices.
However, as it usually happens in situations like this, the firmware should start emerging on handsets in a few days following the announcement, which means that users can already check for its availability, as CrackBerry notes.
“Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a software update — 10.1.0.2050 (10.1.0.2014) / Radio 10.1.0.2051 — designed to improve the performance of your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone,” the wireless carrier says.
The update will provide a nice range of improvements over the previous software, including advanced BES10 functionality, support for emails with attachments in the BlackBerry Hub, and support for both portrait and landscape mode in the calendar.
The new OS flavor also brings along a series of enhancements to notifications, the option to customize vibration sequences per contact, a High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode for the camera, and enhancements to the Hotspot functionality of the phone.
Voice calling has been enhanced as well, now with support for answering incoming calls while using Three Way Conference Calls, even when attendees drop off call, and the option to toggle between calls without the call dropping or failing when using Call Waiting.
Visual Voicemail LED will now show the correct number of voicemails, while missed calls will correctly display a contact’s name if it is saved in phonebook. Users will also be able to copy and paste phone numbers into dialer screen.
Other improvements in the update include:
- Accuracy has been improved when receiving BBM Messages and Notifications
- Access email service over IMAP and SMTP
- Account Settings no longer requires you to re-enter email password
- Reduced SIM Card error messages
- Email messages will be received in real-time, without having to re-enter email password in Account Settings
- Email Notifications will appear only when new emails are received
- Delivery/reliability have been improved when sending/receiving single and group text messages
- Deleted applications will be removed and no longer remain on device
- Facebook no longer appears in Hub once account is deleted from device
- Calendar Application and Hub connectivity and reliability have been improved
Those who would like to learn some more info on the upcoming platform release should head over to this PDF document on Verizon’s website.