Mobile phone carrier Verizon Wireless has just made available a new OS flavor for two of the newest BlackBerry devices on its airwaves, namely the Bold 9650 and Curve 3G 9330.
The software update brings to these devices the BlackBerry 6 OS, which was launched officially last year of the BlackBerry Torch with a wide range of enhancements over the previously available version.
“Do it all better with BlackBerry 6 OS on your BlackBerry Bold 9650 [BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330]. Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for your BlackBerry Bold [Curve 3G] smartphone,” the carrier states in the release notes for the new OS.
“The BlackBerry 6 OS Release 1741 (Platform 126.96.36.1995 and App 188.8.131.521) update includes numerous enhancements and performance improvements,” Verizon continues.
For those who might not be familiar with the new BlackBerry OS, we should note that it comes with a redesigned interface, though it retains the familiar looks of RIM's platform.
With the new BlackBerry OS 6, users would be able to scroll through home screens at ease, while also having the possibility to manage favorites, downloads, and social networks in a simple manner, or to organize apps and content in multiple views.
But this is not all, of course, since all of the improvements that the new BlackBerry 6 OS was announced with, including faster browsing capabilities, Universal Search, or better multimedia capabilities, would be there as well.
The changelog for the new update for Bold 9650 and Curve 3G 9330 at Verizon also includes:
- Enjoy lightning-fast page loading and tabbed browsing.
- Open multiple Web pages at once, and scroll through in seconds, with just a touch.
- Create your own reading experience with adjustable font sizes, quick panning and zooming, and familiar text selection and copy functions.
- Search everything on your smartphone all at once, even within applications.
- Reach out to the Web to broaden your search.
- Use intuitive click-through to find what you’re looking for.
- Experience instantaneous multiplatform posting and updates; just type in your update and send it to one, all, or select networks.
- See all of your social and RSS feeds in one convenient place; no more going from network to network to learn the latest news.
- Capture the moment instead of messing with the settings with new camera modes, including continuous autofocus and zero shutter lag.
- Get on-demand entertainment with video thumbnail sharing and the built-in YouTube App.
Since the new OS upgrade would bring forth a wide range of enhancements, the owners of these devices are advised to update their handsets to the new platform version as soon as possible.
The new software update was announced as being available over the air for all users. However, those who would like to perform the update process via desktop PC would also be able to do so, through the BlackBerry Desktop Manager application.
Users should backup all data on their devices prior to launching the update process, just to make sure that nothing is lost during the installation. All the necessary details on the new update can be found on Verizon's website, here for Bold 9650 and here for Curve 3G 9330.