The developers of Unvanquished, a free, open-source first-person shooter combining real-time strategy elements with a futuristic and sci-fi setting, have just released the eleventh Alpha version.
The work on the Unvanquished continues at a steady pace and it shows no signs of slowing down. If they keep this up, we might be playing a reliable beta by the end of 2013.
So far, Unvanquished has offered an interesting concept. You can play either with the technologically advanced humans or with the highly adaptable aliens.
You will have to construct and maintain a base with various structures, or group up with your teammates to take on the other team.
Unvanquished is also compatible with the Quake 3 file format and the modification tools allow for extensive customization and changing its setting.
Highlights of Unvanquished Alpha 11:
• The Plat23 map has been redone from scratch and the appearance is much more refined. The lighting is better, and the outside area is brand new, featuring a high-resolution space skybox;
• Yocto and Parpax maps have received updates to their layouts. Yocto now has ladders in the formerly inescapable gill room, and Parpax has received some alterations to its rooms and corridors;
• The bloom effect has been fixed and if the user is running the GL3 renderer, the differences will be visible;
• The bot behavior has been refined and the enemies will move less awkward when dealing with the map geometry;
• Shaders will be generated faster than before, as there are fewer of them to be generated in the first place – they have been optimized by removing two unused macros;
• Unvanquished is now available in English, French, German, Polish, and Ukrainian.
More details about this amazingly-looking game can be found on the official website
. Keep in mind that it's a work in progress and bugs are bound to happen.
Download Unvanquished Alpha 11
right now from Softpedia.