Untangle Next Generation (NG) Firewall 10.1, a Linux-based network gateway with pluggable modules for network applications like spam blocking, web filtering, anti-virus, anti-spyware, intrusion prevention, VPN, SSL VPN, and firewall, has been released and is available for download.
Untangle Next Generation (NG) Firewall used to be called the Untangle gateway, but the developers changed its name to better reflect its features.
The NG Firewall now unites a number of functions under its hood and, according to the developers, the applications inspect network traffic simultaneously, greatly reducing the resource requirements of each individual application.
Untangle Next Generation (NG) Firewall features a dedicated filter, advanced bandwidth management features, support for secure VPN connections, control per group and per user, and various support services.
Highlights of Untangle Next Generation (NG) Firewall 10.1:
• Users can no longer download applications and the entire system has been removed. The applications will be preinstalled along with the platform;
• Support has been added for basic VRRP configuration which would allow for hot/cold high availability of multiple Untangle servers;
• Web Filter is now capable to display a block page when blocking HTTPS, even if the dedicated HTTPS Inspector is not being used;
• Web Filter HTTPS blocking (without HTTPS Inspector) has been improved. In this latest version of Untangle, the HTTPS traffic will be categories via the SNI first. As a fallback, the distribution will categorize by fetching the certificate from the HTTPS site and defining the session based on the CN in the certificate, a process which should be a lot more accurate.
• Filtering based on column values or any value is now available;
• Global filtering is now available with "search" box;
• The Ad Blocker performance has been improved.