Steve Langasek announced a few hours ago the second maintenance release of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron)
, which (in case you forgot) is supported with maintenance updates and security fixes until April 2011 on desktops, and April 2013 on servers. Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS brings to its dedicated users a lot of security updates and corrections (over 200), all with a single goal: to keep Ubuntu 8.04 LTS a stable and reliable Linux distribution! "In all, over 200 updates have been integrated, and updated installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS."
- said Steve Langasek in the official release announcement
Highlights of Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS:
· The hdparm power management was set to 128 for all hard disks while on battery, and 254 while on AC (please note that the suspend/resume functions still crash this and a complete fix will arrive in the third maintenance release of Hardy Heron);
· Added support CDs with compressed packages, which will allow everyone to upgrade to future release using CDs;
· Updated the MySQL 4.1 packages, which will allow a smooth upgrade from Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake);
· Repaired the checksum recheck, after reset, for Asus Eee PC 1000;
· Fixed a Pidgin issue with ICQ connections;
· Added support to boot from degraded RAID devices;
· Printing to remote ipp:// printers is possible again.
For the complete list of the changes, please check the official release notes
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for your desktop or server, with a fast and easy install, regular releases, a tight selection of excellent packages installed by default, every other package you can imagine available from the network and professional technical support from Canonical Ltd and hundreds of other companies around the world.
Download Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS (Hardy Heron) right now from Softpedia