Two Rabbit Fever Cases Reported in North Carolina

Two hunters in eastern North Carolina have been affected by tularemia, reports say

  Two hunters in North Carolina seek treatment after being hit by rabbit fever
Information leaked to the general public this past Monday says that two hunters in eastern North Carolina have been affected by tularemia, more commonly known as “rabbit fever.”

Information leaked to the general public this past Monday says that two hunters in eastern North Carolina have been affected by tularemia, more commonly known as “rabbit fever.”

Following these individuals' being struck by tularemia, local officials wished to emphasize the fact that, despite its being referred to as rabbit fever, this medical condition can also be caused by coming into contact with or eating animals such as squirrels, raccoons, skunks and rabbits.

By the looks of it, ticks and mosquito bites can also cause people to become infected.

The symptoms associated with tularemia include fever, stiffness in the joints and muscles, skin ulcers, diarrhea, excessive sweating and significant weight loss, sources report.

Furthermore, health officials warn that rabbit fever can also cause pneumonia, yet stress the fact that such outcomes are few and far in between.

For the most part, rabbit fever can successfully be dealt with by antibiotics, and those affected by it are likely to make a full recovery.

However, should this medical condition be left untreated, those struck by it can die.

As far as said two hunters are concerned, it seems that, as a result of their being treated with antibiotics, they are already making progress towards getting back on their feet.

According to specialists working with the US National Health Institutes, tularemia is actually caused by a bacterium known to the scientific community as Francisella tularensis, for which any of said animal or insect species can serve as a host.

“It can make you very, very sick,” said Marilyn Haskell, an epidemiologist currently employed by the North Carolina Division of Public Health.

Seeing how this bacterium can also affect both pets such as dogs and cats, and other mammals, people were asked to be cautious when out hunting and pay close attention to any symptoms that they or their animals might display.

Comments