The first Beta of the Ubuntu 11.10 operating system is knocking on our doors, as it will be released next Thursday, and we though this will be a good moment to list some of the most important features that will be added in the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) release.Ubuntu 11.10 is dubbed Oneiric Ocelot and will include new and breathtaking "under the hood" technologies, such as Linux kernel 3.0, multi-arch support, GNOME 3.2 desktop environment, GTK3, Python 3.2, GCC 4.6.1, Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) 1.5.0, and lots more.
The following article will list 10 of the new features implemented in the Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system, due for release on October 13th, 2011.
1. Breathtaking login manager (a.k.a login screen or display manager)
2. Lots of Unity launcher, Unity Dash, and Unity panel improvements, including smart application finder when dragging different files, unread counters for Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Empathy and Pidgin, and smart search in Dash.
3. Awesome backup up tool, called Deja Dup, that will backup and restore all the files (yes, including the hidden ones) in your home folder.
4. Mozilla Thunderbird 7.0 as the default email client (replacing Evolution Mail and Calendar, which has been completely removed from the system).
5. Mozilla Firefox 7.0 as the default web browser!
6. Brand-new ALT+Tab functionality that will work across multiple desktops.
7. Improved office suite - LibreOffice 3.4
8. Easily access various settings straight from the Unity panel, to setup your monitor, bluetooth devices, startup applications, printers, USB devices, and system updates.
9. Simplified and good looking file manager - Nautilus 3
10. Breathtaking Ubuntu Software Center!
Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) will be the 15th release of the Ubuntu operating system. Don't forget to visit our website on September 1st for an in-depth article about the Ubuntu 11.10 Beta release, where we will unveil more of Oneiric's features.