Wireless carrier T-Mobile is reportedly getting ready to roll-out a new software update for its myTouch 3G smartphone, one that would bring Android 2.2 Froyo on the popular device. The roll-out of the new OS update should start as soon as today, and is expected to be completed before October 25th is here.
According to a recent article
on TmoNews, the new update is meant only for the original myTouch 3G handset
. The myTouch 3G Slide, the Fender Edition, and the myTouch with 3.5mm jack won't receive it.
As expected, the new OS upgrade should land on myTouch 3G devices with a wide range of benefits, including an enhanced homescreen experience (new widgets, Live wallpapers), the Faves gallery, or Exchange email integration.
Some of the main enhancements the new software
update should bring forth include:- New Fully Integrated Exchange Client
- Improved security: Numeric pin and alpha-numeric password options have been added to unlock the device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.
- Remote wipe: In the event a device is lost or stolen, Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data.
- Exchange calendars: Exchange calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.
- Auto-discovery: With just a user name and password users can easily set up and/or sync an - Exchange account (available for Exchange 2007 and higher).
- Global Address Lists look-up: This functionality is now available in the E-mail application, enabling users to auto-complete recipient names from an entire directory.
- Faves Gallery gives customers quick access to the 20 people who matter most. Customers can scroll through their Faves Gallery and instantly see the most recent communication from their top 20 Faves – calls, texts, emails, instant messaging, and social networking updates – and respond in a flash.
When it comes to the aforementioned improvements brought to the homescreen
experience, we can count a Home screen Tips widget that offers tips on how one would be able to customize the homescreen with shortcuts or widgets.
Moreover, there would be a Market widget that should offer info on the most popular apps in the software portal, not to mention that users would find a series of Live wallpapers available on Android Market, including Aquarium, Google Maps and more.
With the new OS update
, users would get dedicated shortcuts on the homescreen for Phone, All Apps and Browser, while also enjoying panels.
The new myTouch 3G software update is also expected to enhance the communication features of the handset. Here's what the release notes supposedly include:- Gmail app enhancements: Include quoted text from the body of an e-mail message Navigate quickly using on-screen previous/next buttons Identify e-mails using colored labels See inline images in messages
- Calendar app now supports multiple Google and Exchange accounts
- Google Talk app lets users search for buddies from the Search key
- Google Voice app now uses Inbox Synchronization so new messages are received in a matter of seconds
- Quickcontact is now available in Gmail, Google Talk, and Google Voice, right from your device. Users tap on a contact image to access various ways to reach that person, such as call, SMS, e-mail, etc.
Other enhancements are also expected to be there, some of which would be aimed at the photo snapper on the device
, while others should improve the YouTube app, Facebook app, the Twitter app, and more.
Provided that rumor would pan out, the new software update would start being sent out to users in a few hours, with all of them expected to receive it in the following days. Keep an eye on this space for more info on the matter.