The first full-fledged antivirus application for Mac's making its way in the Mac App Store as a free download. According to its makers, “iAntivirus is essential virus protection built exclusively for your Mac.”
Symantec made the release official this week, noting that iAntivirus is a “simple yet powerful on-demand malware and virus scanner [that] helps ensure you are protected from the latest threats.”
“The all-new iAntivirus protects your iPhoto pictures, iTunes music and all of your Apple Stuff you can’t live without. iAntivirus also scans your Facebook wall for malicious links to keep you protected from online fraud,” it adds.
Also, according to the security software vendor, “online threats targeting Macs are on the rise and iAntivirus is your first line of defense. It delivers essential protection to keep your Mac and your Stuff safe from the latest viruses.”
iAntivirus has to be the simplest-ever application of its kind. Not only does the software present a simple and intuitive interface, but almost every task is automated, leaving the user to tend to their business as it scans the hard drive.
If you stumble upon a questionable file, you can instantly drag it on iAntivirus and have it scanned. It also detects Windows-specific malware. Symantec mentions the following key features of iAntivirus: • Award-winning technology blocks threats before they damage your Mac, iPhoto® pictures, iTunes media and other important Stuff.
• Innovative “carousel” interfaces lets you use two fingers to swipe between your home folder and full system and other scanning options.
• Lets you quickly and easily scan files by simply dragging and dropping them onto iAntivirus.
• Built for speed from the ground up, so it won’t get in the way of your Mac experience.
• Works seamlessly against Windows threats too, to make sure the documents you share are safe for everyone.
• Updates available regularly through the App Store to help detect the latest breaking threats.
iAntivirus requires OS X 10.6 or later and a 64-bit processor. Download iAntivirus for Mac OS X (Free)