One of the most popular alternatives to Android stock keyboards, SwiftKey Flow has just received a major update that promises to improve users' overall experience.
Moreover, the latest update includes some fixes for critical issues and various other bugs. Developers claim that this beta version of SwiftKey Flow is more stable than previous iterations, so long-time users should give this one a try as well.
According to the changelog offered by developers, SwiftKey Flow 220.127.116.11 for Android smartphones and tablets comes with the following new features, improvements and fixes:
- Flow-through-space autocommit: if you flow-through space but mess up your last word, all the prior words will be inserted (instead of losing all the words);
- Flow in landscape on tablets (not on split layout with numpad);
- Battery usage improved (when flowing and when not in use);
- Performance of flowing and tapping improved;
- Long-press of bottom-right (smiley/enter) button now works;
- Fixed some force close issues;
- Fixed some memory leaks;
- Predictions not lost when changing keyboard layout (e.g to symbols);
- Fixed double capitalization issue.
Given that SwiftKey Flow is still in beta, there are still some things that need to be ironed out. These have been listed by developers as “known issues” and are likely to be fixed in the next updates:
- Flow trail is sometimes left on the screen at the end of a word;
- Personalization service continues running when it has finished;
- Memory usage is still higher than we would like;
- Flow trail is very faint on some CyanogenMod ROMs;
- Force closes on Motorola Atrix and LG G2X with custom ROMs >= 4.0;
- If a language pack is downloaded while typing the keyboard is not refreshed;
- Predictions are too large on LDPI devices;
- Predictions occasionally lost when alternately backspacing/spacing at the end of a word;
- Ukrainian split layout is broken;
- Estonian words containing ö are not predicted;
- Arrow keys do not repeat on long-press.
SwiftKey Flow 18.104.22.168 is available as a free download for both Android smartphones and tablets here.