0 A.D., a free, open-source, cross-platform real-time strategy (RTS) game of ancient warfare with historically-based war/economy, that allows players to relive or rewrite the history of Western civilizations, is now at version Alpha 13.
The latest version of 0 A.D, Alpha 13, has been dubbed Magadha and comes with a lot of important new features, Mauryan Indians, AI improvements, six new songs, and more.
The developers of 0 A.D. have also told their fans that the game will always be available for free.
“Although you might find some people selling copies of 0 A.D., either over the internet or on physical media, you will always have the option to download 0 A.D. completely gratis, directly from the developers,” reads the official announcement.
Highlights of 0 A.D Alpha 13:
• The Mauryan Indian civilization has been added, including new units, from war elephants to Brahmin priests;
• The Aegis bot AI has been improved and it will provide a better adversary when it's defending, attacking, or building an army;
• The Aegis AI can now play at several different difficulty levels;
• Helpful messages are now shown when a building can’t be placed due to problems with the landscape;
• Scaffolds have been added for newly built structures;
• Some tribute stats have been added to the summary screen;
• Players are now notified when any tributes are given to them.
The installation is pretty simple, especially if it's done from a PPA (a source package is provided by the developers). Just open a terminal and enter the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install 0ad
(If you get errors about unmet dependencies, check that you have the Universe repository enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list.)
A complete list of changes is provided in the official announcement.
Download 0 A.D Alpha 13 right now from Softpedia.