The distribution also comes with Firefox 18.0 and Thunderbird 17.0.2
Ikey Doherty has just announced that the seventh Alpha version of the upcoming SolusOS 2 Linux operating system is now available for download and testing.SolusOS 2 Alpha 7 has been launched in order to demonstrate the Consort Desktop, which will be the flagship desktop of the final SolusOS 2.
It also includes non-free audio/video codecs for an out-of-the-box multimedia experience, and firmware for common WLAN chipsets.
This version of SolusOS 2 includes the Consort Desktop, which is a fork of the GNOME Fallback Desktop + Components (3.4).
“This will eventually be a distro-agnostic desktop environment providing the classic experience of GNOME 2 in a GTK3 environment. We encourage everyone to test, not just the distribution, but the desktop itself,” states the official announcement.
Highlights of SolusOS 2 Alpha 7:
• Mozilla Firefox has been updated to version 18.0;
• Mozilla Thunderbird has been updated to version 17.0.2;
• LibreOffice has been updated to version 3.6.4;
• Linux Kernel has been updated to version 3.3.6-solusos (with BFS/preempt/no dyn ticks/1000Hz);
• SolusOS Desktop Environment, based on Gnome 3.4, has been implemented;
• Athena has been updated to version 1.0.3 and now works with all themes by using monochromatic toolbar and view-toggler icons;
• Consortium (Metacity fork) now has side-by-side window tiling. Drag a window to a screen edge to try it out;
• Issues with “shadow trails” and “Latent shadow boxes” left behind by tooltips, dnd icons and menus are gone;
• Cardapio Menu has been dropped for now. This will be reintroduced when the Python Panel Compatibility Layer will be complete.
Download SolusOS 2 Alpha 7 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is an alpha version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only. Currently, only the 32-bit PAE ISO is available for testing.