The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Fedora 18 Alpha, Mandriva Linux 2012 Alpha and Snowlinux 3 E17. In other news: Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) reaches end of life (EOL) on October 28th, 2012; Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) will have support for Secure Boot via GRUB2. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Linux kernel 3.6 RC6, Sabayon Linux 10, Brasa OS 1.0, Hanthana Linux 17, Vala 0.17.7, Cr OS Linux, Superb Mini Server 2.0.0, Cheese 3.6 RC, Clutter 1.11.16, Nautilus 3.6 RC, Tails 0.13, Cinnamon 1.6, Nikki and the Robots, GeeXboX 3.0, Slackware 14.0 RC5, Shotwell 0.13.0, Midori 0.4.7, Suse Manager 1.7, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3.1 Beta 2, GNOME Shell 3.6 RC, GNOME 3.6 RC, Calibre 0.8.70, GCC 4.7.2, Manjaro 0.8.1, NetBSD 6.0 RC2, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.9 Beta, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a nice review for the Uplink game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the updated Linux distributions, as well as the development releases.
Summary: [tablec][row][col]· Announced Distro: Fedora 18 Alpha
· Announced Distro: Mandriva Linux 2012 Alpha
· Announced Distro: Snowlinux 3 E17
· Other News: Ubuntu 11.04 EOL and Ubuntu 12.10 will support Secure Boot
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Humble Indie Bundle 6 comes to Linux, Ubuntu Open Week 2012, and more...
· Review of the Week: Uplink
· Video Clip of the Week: Humble Indie Bundle 6
· Distributions Updated Last Week: Sabayon Linux 10, Cr OS Linux 2.2.1226, Instant WebKiosk 2.2, and more...
· Development Releases: Slackware 14.0 RC5[/col][/row][/tablec]
Highlights of Fedora 18 Alpha:
· Linux kernel 3.6 RC2;
· GNOME 3.5.5;
· KDE SC 4.9;
· Xfce 4.10;
· RPM 4.10;
· Implemented Offline Updates using PackageKit and systemd;
· Fontconfig 2.10;
· GHC (Glasgow Haskell Compiler) 7.4.1;
· Liberation Fonts 2;
· Support for FedFS (Federated File System);
· Hawkey package management library;
· DNF package management utility;
· DragonEgg GCC plugin;
· Dwarf compressor for smaller debug files;
· New ibus Pinyin engine for Simplified Chinese input;
· Ibus-Typing Booster predictive input method;
· IPA v3 with Trusts to Active Directory domains;
· KRB5 Credential Cache move;
· MiniDebugInfo for better bug reports;
· NFSometer performance measurement framework;
· Package Service Presets;
· PCRE (Perl-Compatible Regular Expression) 8.30;
· Perl 5.16;
· procps-ng, the next-gen procps tools;
· Rails 3.2;
· Server KMS drivers;
· Syscall filters;
· tmpfs is now mounted on /tmp;
· Virtual Guest suspend/hibernate support;
· Virtual Machine Live snapshots.
[tablec][row][col][/col][/row][/tablec][tablec][row][col]Fedora 18 Alpha GNOME Live CD[/col][/row][/tablec]
Download Fedora 18 Alpha now from Softpedia. Remember that this is an alpha version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.
Highlights of Mandriva Linux 2012 Alpha:
· KDE Software Compilation 4.9;
· Smaller, faster and smarter installer;
· Working text mode installer;
· Better rescue mode;
· Improved Dual CD ISO image;
· Added Linaro GCC 4.7;
· Removed HAL;
· Lots of updated packages and bug fixes!
[tablec][row][col][/col][/row][/tablec][tablec][row][col]Mandriva Linux 2012 Alpha[/col][/row][/tablec]
Download Mandriva Linux 2012 Alpha now from Softpedia. Remember that this is an alpha version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.
Highlights of Snowlinux 3 E17 Edition:
· Based on Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (Wheezy);
· Linux kernel 3.5;
· Enlightenment E17 desktop environment;
· 3 desktop interfaces (SnowOSX, Snowlinux GNOME 2 and Snowlinux Classic);
· Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1;
· Mozilla Thunderbird 14;
· Snowlinux Plymouth;
· Neptune E17 desktop theme;
· Neptune Faenza icon theme;
· LightDM login manager;
· Black background for the terminal;
· Non-free Linux firmware;
· Snowlinux LightDM theme;
· Live Installer;
· DuckDuckGo search engine;
· Better response and speed;
· Many system improvements and updated packages;
· Apps like RAR, 7Zip, GNOME MPlayer, Audacious, Shotwell, Abiword, etc.
[tablec][row][col][/col][/row][/tablec][tablec][row][col]Snowlinux 3 E17 - Image courtesy of Lars Torben Kremer[/col][/row][/tablec]
Download Snowlinux 3 E17 now from Softpedia.
· On September 17th, Canonical announced that starting with October 28th, 2012, they will stop "feeding" the Ubuntu 11.04 operating system with security/critical fixes and software updates! Read more about it here.
· On September 20th, Canonical announced that they will plan to implement support for Secure Boot in the upcoming Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) operating system. Therefore, after a discussion with Free Software Foundation, Canonical decided to drop the EFILinux bootloader implementation in favor of the GRUB2 bootloader one, signed with their own keys. Read more about it here.
· Download Linux Kernel 3.6 Release Candidate 6
· Sabayon Linux 10 Has MATE and Linux Kernel 3.5
· Mandriva and Zarafa Form a Partnership
· Brasa OS 1.0 Has LibreOffice
· Hanthana Linux 17 Is Based on Fedora 17
· Vala 0.17.7 Available for Download
· Chrome OS Linux Is Now Known as Cr OS Linux
· Superb Mini Server 2.0.0 Is Based on Slackware 14
· Fedora 18 Release Notes Made by Developers
· Cheese 3.6 RC Is Available for Testing
· Clutter 1.11.16 Brings Fixes to Gesture-Based Actions
· Nautilus 3.6 RC Improves Performance and Stability
· Fedora 18 Alpha GNOME Live CD Screenshot Tour
· Fedora 18 Alpha KDE Live CD Screenshot Tour
· Humble Indie Bundle 6 Comes to Linux
· Ubuntu Open Week 2012: 24th – 26th October
· New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
· Canonical Announces Cloud Archive for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server
· Tails 0.13 Has Linux Kernel 3.2.23-1
· Cinnamon 1.6 Officially Released
· Nikki and the Robots Released on Linux
· GeeXboX 3.0 Is Based on XBMC Media Center 11
· Slackware 14.0 RC5 Is Now Ready for Testing
· Shotwell 0.13.0 Has Tumblr Support
· Midori 0.4.7 Is Available for Download
· Suse Manager 1.7 Officially Announced
· Uplink is a synonym to history. The fact that a game is included in a Humble Bundle doesn't make it a new title. In fact, Uplink is probably the oldest game to be included in the Humble Bundle package, ever.
The game is built in such a way so as to reflect this "romantic" view of Hollywood. Players receive a job at a company that does some sort of legitimate hacking. You start with a small gateway computer and a few easy missions in which you are hired to steal data from various companies.
Read the complete review here.
· Zest 2.1
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.