The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Snowlinux 3 Xfce, PCLinuxOS KDE 2012.08, and Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. In other news: Clement Lefebvre announced that Nadia will be the codename for the upcoming Linux Mint 14 operating system. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Macpup 529, OS4 OpenDesktop 1.0, Frugalware 1.7, Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 Test 2, Calculate Linux 12.0.2, Tiny Core Linux 4.6 RC3, Scientific Linux Live CD 6.3 RC2, Manjaro XFCE 0.8.0, VirtualBox 4.1.20, Bridge Linux GNOME 2012.8, Phoronix Test Suite 4.0.1, Nautilus 3.6 Beta, GNOME Shell 3.6 Beta, SFLPhone 1.2.0, SalineOS 2.0 Dev 1, Linux kernel 3.6 Release Candidate 3, FreeBSD 9.1 RC1, Edubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu Studio 12.04.1 LTS, Calibre 0.8.66, Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, PC-BSD 9.1 RC1, Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.08, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a very handy tutorial about how to install the Firefox 15 web browser in Ubuntu and an interesting review for the Psychonauts game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, as well as the development releases.
· Announced Distro: PCLinuxOS KDE 2012.08
· Announced Distro: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
· Other News: Linux Mint 14 will be named Nadia
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Linux kernel 3.4 will be supported for 2 years, Ubuntu 12.10 wallpaper contest, and more...
· Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 15 on Ubuntu
· Review of the Week: Psychonauts
· Video Clip of the Week: The Story of Linux - Happy 21st Birthday, Linux!
· New Distributions: OS4 OpenDesktop 1.0 and Bridge Linux GNOME 2012.08
· Distributions Updated Last Week: SolusOS 1.2, Frugalware Linux 1.7, Calculate Linux 12.0.2, and more...
· Development Releases: Tiny Core Linux 4.6 RC3, Clonezilla LiveCD 2.0.0-7, Slackware 14.0 RC3, and more...
On August 19th, Lars Torben Kremer proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the stable release of the Snowlinux 3 Xfce Edition operating system. Dubbed Crystal, Snowlinux 2 Xfce is based on the Debian 6 (Squeeze) operating system and it's powered by the LTS (Long Term Support) Linux kernel 3.2 and the Xfce 4.8.4 desktop environment.
Highlights of Snowlinux 3 Xfce Edition:
· Based on Debian 6 (Squeeze);
· Linux kernel 3.2 (LTS);
· Xfce 4.8.4;
· Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1;
· Mozilla Thunderbird 14;
· Added Linux-Firmware-Nonfree to support more hardware;
· DuckDuckGo search engine;
· Black terminal background;
· Better software selection;
· Better response and speed;
· New look and feel;
· Updated packages and software;
· Lots of system improvements.
On August 22nd, the PCLinuxOS developers announced the immediate availability for download of the PCLinuxOS KDE 2012.08 Linux operating system. PCLinuxOS KDE 2012.08 comes in two flavors, one with a full version of the KDE desktop environment, and another one with a minimal installation of KDE.
Highlights of PCLinuxOS 2012.08:
· Linux kernel 126.96.36.199 (with BFS for maximum desktop performance);
· KDE Software Compilation 4.8.3;
· Support for Nvidia and AMD/ATI graphics cards;
· Out-of-the-box support for multimedia playback;
· Support for wireless networks;
· Support for many local and network printers;
· Added addlocale to easily convert PCLinuxOS in over 60 languages;
· Added LibreOffice Manager to install the popular LibreOffice suite in over 100 languages;
· Users can easily take a LiveCD/DVD snapshot of their PCLinuxOS installations with MyLiveCD;
· PCLinuxOS can be easily installed on an USB flash drive with the PCLinuxOS-liveusb tool;
· ...and much more!
On August 23rd, Canonical proudly announced the first maintenance release for the long term supported Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system. The Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS release brings to its dedicated users a lot of security updates and corrections, all with a single goal: to keep Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a stable and reliable Linux distribution.
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (Precise Pangolin) adds support for the Calxeda ECX-1000 SoC family, GNOME 3.4.2, LibreOffice 3.5.4, Nautilus quicklist support in Unity launcher, Remmina replaced Vinagre, GCC 4.6.3, Upstart 1.5, Python 2.7.3/3.2.3, OpenJDK 6b24, and IcedTea Java plugin has been removed.
· On August 24th, Clement Lefebvre, father of the Linux Mint project, proudly announced that the codename for the upcoming Linux Mint 14 operating system will be Nadia. Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) will be available for download at the end of November 2012, and it will be shipped with separate MATE, Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce editions. However, it has not yet been decided which desktop environment will be the default for Linux Mint 14. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· Macpup 529 Has Firefox 14.0.1
· OS4 OpenDesktop 1.0 Is Available for Download
· Frugalware 1.7 Has Linux Kernel 3.4.8
· Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 Test 2 Has GNOME 3.4.2
· Calculate Linux 12.0.2 Comes with KDE SC 4.9
· Tiny Core Linux 4.6 RC3 Is Available for Testing
· Ubuntu 13.04 Developer Summit Registration Open
· Scientific Linux Live CD 6.3 RC2 Available for Testing
· Manjaro XFCE 0.8.0 Officially Released
· VirtualBox 4.1.20 Has Support for Linux Kernel 3.6
· Linux Kernel 3.4 Will Be Supported for 2 Years
· Bridge Linux GNOME 2012.8 Drops Cinnamon
· Phoronix Test Suite 4.0.1 Available for Download
· Nautilus 3.6 Beta Brings New Features and Improvements
· Canonical Promotes ARM Servers Powered by Ubuntu
· Ubuntu 12.10 Wallpaper Contest Begins
· GNOME Shell 3.6 Beta Has Been Released
· SFLPhone 1.2.0 Is Now Part of KDE
· First Development Version of SalineOS 2.0 Available
· Calibre Plugin of the Week: Goodreads Sync
· Ubuntu Developer Week 2012: 28th - 30th August
· Totem Movie Player Is Now Known as Videos
· PCLinuxOS KDE 2012.08 Screenshot Tour
· Download Linux Kernel 3.6 Release Candidate 3
· FreeBSD 9.1 RC1 Is Now Available for Testing
· Edubuntu 12.04.1 LTS Officially Released
· Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS Has Full Xen Support
· Ubuntu Studio 12.04.1 LTS Has Been Released
· Calibre 0.8.66 Has Support for Mathematics in Ebooks
· Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS Is Ready for Download
· Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS Has KDE SC 4.8.4
· PC-BSD 9.1 RC1 Has Active Directory
· Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.08 Has KDE 4.9.0
· Happy 21st Birthday, Linux
Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 15 on Ubuntu
· The following tutorial will teach Ubuntu users how to "unofficially" update their systems to the Mozilla Firefox 15.0 web browser.
Read the complete review here.
Review of the Week:
· Whenever I start playing a game that was born in the mind of Tim Schaffer, I say to myself “welcome into the world of crazies.” I’ve always said that whenever a game is hard to describe, the developers have done at least something right. Well, Psychonauts is as hard to describe as it gets and no matter how late it arrived on Linux, is still a good thing that it’s here.
Read the complete review here.
Video Clip of the Week: The Story of Linux - Happy 21st Birthday, Linux!
· For this week we've posted an 1080p HD that tells the story of Linux in an animated, hand drawn featurette with the occasion of 21 years of Linux. The video has 3 minutes and 39 seconds, and it was posted by TheLinuxFoundation.
· OS4 OpenDesktop 1.0
· Bridge Linux GNOME 2012.08
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· SolusOS 1.2
· Macpup 529
· Frugalware Linux 1.7
· 4MLinux Core 4.0
· 4MLinux Allinone Edition 4.0
· Calculate Linux Desktop 12.0.2
· Calculate Linux Desktop Xfce 12.0.2
· Calculate Linux Directory Server 12.0.2
· Calculate Linux Scratch 12.0.2
· Calculate Linux Scratch Server 12.0.2
· Calculate Media Center 12.0.2
· Manjaro Linux 0.8.0
· Mythbuntu 12.04.1 LTS
· Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
· Ubuntu Studio 12.04.1 LTS
· Edubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
· Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
· Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS
· Ubuntu Cloud Server 12.04.1 LTS
· Webconverger 14.1
· Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.08
· Knoppix 7.0.4
· 4MLinux Rescue Edition 4.0
· webLinux OS 3.0
· Parsix Linux 4.0 Test 2
· Tiny Core Linux 4.6 RC3
· Openwall GNU/Linux 20120818
· Scientific Linux Live CD 6.3 RC2
· Saline OS 2.0 Dev 1
· Clonezilla LiveCD 2.0.0-7
· Descent|OS 3.0 RC1
· Slackware 14.0 RC3
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.