The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Pear Linux 5. In other news: Valve officially confirms Steam for Ubuntu; Ubuntu on Air! project was launched by Canonical; Dell announced that they will sell Dell XPS 13 laptops with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS this fall; Canonical introduced Ubuntu Web Apps. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Emmabuntüs 2 1.0, VectorLinux 64-bit 7.0, GParted Live CD 0.13.0-1, 4MLinux Game Edition 3.3, Kororaa 17, Sophos UTM 9, SimplyMEPIS 11.9.60, Mozilla Firefox 14 , Mozilla Thunderbird 14, Linux Kernel 3.4.6, FreeBSD 9.1 Beta 1, SystemRescueCd 2.8.1, Alpine Linux 2.4.5, Wine 1.5.9, PS3 Media Server 1.60, Android-x86 4.0 RC2, PC-BSD 9.1 Beta 1, Scientific Linux 6.3 Beta 1, Calibre 0.8.61, Vine Linux 6.1 RC2, Bodhi Linux 2.0.0 Build 5, Zentyal 3.0 Beta 2, FreeNAS 8.2, LibreOffice 3.6.0 RC2, and much more. For this week we've also prepared an interesting review for the Amnesia: The Dark Descent game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Other News: Ubuntu Web Apps, Ubuntu on Air, Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu 12.04, Steam for Ubuntu
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Ubuntu 12.10 will have a revamped Nautilus, Raspbian, and more...
· Review of the Week: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
· Video Clip of the Week: Introducing Ubuntu Web Apps
· New Distributions: Notalinux 12.04, LPinguy 12.04.1, Airinux 12.05 LTS, Raspbian 2012-07-15, and more...
· Distributions Updated Last Week: VectorLinux 64-bit 7.0, Kororaa 17, Emmabuntüs 2 1.0, AEROS r3, and more...
· Development Releases: Android-x86 4.0 RC2, Zentyal 2.3-2, Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.13-9, and more...
On July 16th, David Tavares has announced that the fifth iteration of the Pear Linux operating system is now available for download. Pear Linux 5 (previously known as Pear OS and Comice OS) comes with thousands of free applications and it is designed to do everything you need it to.
Pear Linux 5 is built on top of the GNOME 3 interface, powered by Pear Linux Shell, which is a modification of GNOME Shell to look like a Mac OS desktop. It also includes a Launchpad viewer, which creates pages for all your apps, allowing you to switch between them using your trackpad. One of the most highlighted apps of Pear Linux 5 is the Pear Appstore, which features parallel downloading, resuming of downloads, updates notifier, cache cleaner, and one-click installation.
· On July 16th, the Valve Linux team announced that they've selected the Ubuntu operating system to deploy their upcoming Steam client for Linux. Why Ubuntu? Simply because it is the number one Linux operating system out there, used by millions of users worldwide. However, there will be support for other Linux distributions as well! Read more about it here.
· On July 17th, José Antonio Rey proudly announced that the Ubuntu on Air! project was born. Ubuntu on Air is an idea discussed by some Ubuntu developers and contributors at the Ubuntu Developer Summit for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin), during the IRC Workshops sessions, which consists on a series of broadcasts via Google+ Hangouts. Read more about it here.
· On July 18th, Dell came with another major announcement related to Project Sputnik. Remember Project Sputnik? Officially announced as an experiment in May this year, Project Sputnik was supposed to be an open source laptop targeted for developers, which will run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Read more about it here.
· On July 19th, at O’Reilly OSCON 2012, Mark Shuttleworth revealed a new feature that will be implemented in the upcoming Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) operating system, called Ubuntu Web Apps. Ubuntu Web Apps allows Ubuntu users to run online apps, such as Twitter, GMail, Ebay, Last.FM or Facebook, straight from their desktops. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· FreeNAS 8.2.0 RC1 Available for Testing
· Emmabuntüs 2 1.0 Officially Released
· Download Linux Kernel 3.5 Release Candidate 7
· VectorLinux 64-bit 7.0 Has Xfce 4.8
· GParted Live CD 0.13.0-1 Is Based on GParted 0.13.0
· 4MLinux Game Edition 3.3 Has DOSBox 0.74
· Kororaa 17 Is Now Available for Download
· Sophos UTM 9 Now Available for Download
· SimplyMEPIS 11.9.60 Has Linux Kernel 3.3-2
· Download Firefox and Thunderbird 14 Final for Linux
· Linux Kernel 3.4.5 Is Available for Download
· FreeBSD 9.1 Beta 1 Is Available for Testing
· Two New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
· Ubuntu 12.10 Allows Users to Sort Time Zones
· Open-Source id Tech 4 Engine Finally Advancing
· Founder of GNU Says UEFI Should Be Illegal
· SystemRescueCd 2.8.1 Has GRUB 2.00
· Alpine Linux 2.4.5 Available for Download
· Wine 1.5.9 Supports XRandr 1.2 and 1.3
· Firefox 14 Officially Lands in Ubuntu
· PS3 Media Server 1.60 Supports Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
· Ubuntu One Files Java Library Released
· Ubuntu 12.10 Will Offer a Revamped Nautilus
· Android for PC Reaches Version 4.0 RC2
· PC-BSD 9.1 Beta 1 Has KDE 4.8.4
· Scientific Linux 6.3 Beta 1 Available for Testing
· Raspbian: Debian for Raspberry Pi
· Top 10 Ubuntu App Downloads for June 2012
· Mark Shuttleworth Talks Juju at OSCON 2012
· Linux Kernel 3.4.6 Is Available for Download
· Calibre 0.8.61 Brings Drivers for Android Devices
· Vine Linux 6.1 RC2 Has Linux Kernel 3.0.37
· Bodhi Linux 2.0.0 Build 5 Is Available for Testing
· Zentyal 3.0 Beta 2 Available for Download
· Serious Sam 3 Now Runs on Linux
· FreeNAS 8.2 Officially Released
· Calibre Plugin of the Week: Count Pages
· LibreOffice 3.6.0 RC2 Is Available for Download
Review of the Week: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
· Amnesia: The Dark Descent is not your average game. It’s not made for children and it’s not made for elderly people. It’s a game made to do one thing: scare the players down to their core. You might think we are ready for it, after all these years of gaming, but nothing will prepare us for this experience.
Read the complete review here.
Video Clip of the Week: Introducing Ubuntu Web Apps
· For this week we've posted an 720p HD video clip that showcases the upcoming Ubuntu Web Apps feature from Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal). The video has 3 minutes and 46 seconds, and it was posted by celebrateubuntu.
· Cultix RC1
· Notalinux 12.04
· Cinnarch 2012.07.07
· Airinux 12.05 LTS
· LPinguy 12.04.1
· Raspbian 2012-07-15
· Mandragora Linux 2012.1 Beta
· webLinux OS 2.0
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· VectorLinux 64-bit 7.0
· 4MLinux Game Edition 3.3
· Arch Linux 2012.07.15
· Kororaa 17
· Emmabuntüs 2 1.0
· Sophos UTM 9
· AEROS r3
· SimplyMEPIS 11.9.60
· Scientific Linux 6.3 Beta 1
· Android-x86 4.0 RC2
· Bodhi 2.0.0 Build 5
· Vine Linux 6.1 RC2
· Zentyal 2.3-2
· Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.13-9
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.