The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Ultimate Edition 3.4, Fuduntu 2012.3, Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.07, and Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 Test 1. In other news: Mandriva Linux gets renamed. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Linux kernel 3.5 RC5, Fedora 17 IBM System z 64-bit, GNU C Library 2.16, DoudouLinux 1.2, DRBL 1.0.9-2, Commodore OS Vision 1.0 Beta 9, Wine 1.5.8, Calculate Linux 12 Beta, Porteus 1.2, OpenMW 0.16.0, Qbittorrent 2.9.11, ArchBang 2012.07.02, Helal Linux Light 1.0, GNOME 3.5.3, Super Grub2 Disk 2.00 Beta 1, Calibre 0.8.59, Pidgin 2.10.5, Transmission 2.60, Parted Magic 2012_07_05, Descent|OS 3 Alpha 2, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a nice review for the LIMBO game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On June 30th, TheeMahn proudly announced that the Ultimate Edition 3.4 LTS operating system is now available for download on mirrors worldwide. Ultimate Edition 3.4 is now based on Canonical's Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system, which makes it a Long Term Support release.
Packed with a new GTK3 theme, a comprehensive set of apps, all the updates from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, new initrd, rebuilt vmlinuz, and a rock solid GNOME 3 desktop environment. Ultimate Edition 3.4 is distributed as Live DVD ISO images for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, containing Unity, Cinnamon, XBMC, GNOME Classic, GNOME 3 with GNOME Shell, and the GNOME Fallback sessions.
Download Ultimate Edition 3.4 now from Softpedia.
On July 2nd, Andrew Wyatt proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Fuduntu 2012.3 Linux operating system. Fuduntu 2012.3 comes with lots of under-the-hood improvements, such as GCC 4.6.3, GRUB 2 as default bootloader, the Anaconda 16 installer, and the Droid Sans Mono terminal font.
Highlights of Fuduntu 2012.3:
· Linux kernel 3.4.4;
· Chromium 19.0.1084.56;
· Mozilla Firefox 13.0.1;
· Mozilla Thunderbird 13.0.1;
· LibreOffice 22.214.171.124;
· GIMP 2.8;
· Pidgin 2.10.4;
· VirtualBox OSE 4.1.16;
· Wine 1.4.1;
· Infinality Freetype 2.4.10;
· GRUB2 2.0-0.27;
· GCC 4.6.3.
Download Fuduntu 2012.3 now from Softpedia.
On July 3rd, Anke Boersma has announced the immediate availability for download of the Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.07 operating system. Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.07 is the last maintenance release for Archimedes series and it is powered by Linux kernel 3.4.3 and KDE Software Compilation 4.8.3. It also contains QtWebkit 2.2.1, Qt 4.8.2, and an optional Linux kernel 3.0.35.
Highlights of Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.07:
· Linux kernel 3.4.3;
· Linux kernel 3.0.35 (optional);
·KDE Software Compilation 4.8.3;
· Calligra 2.4.2;
· Qt 4.8.2;
· QtWebkit 2.2.1;
· tomoyo-tools 2.5;
· wqy-microhei is now the default font for Japanese, Chinese and Korean languages;
· udev 182;
· kmod 0.8;
· mkinitcpio 0.8.8;
· Move to /usr/lib to prepare for systemd switch.
Download Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.07 now from Softpedia.
On July 4th, Alan Baghumian announced the immediate availability for download of the first test version of the upcoming Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 operating system. Dubbed Gloria, Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0 Test 1 brings lots of updated packages, an updated installer, faster live boot, and new features. It includes all the security updated and bug fixes, as well as application updates, that were published on the Debian testing repositories as of July 1st, 2012.
Highlights of Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0r0 Test 1:
· Based on Debian testing repositories (as of July 1st, 2012);
· Linux kernel 3.2.20;
· GNOME 3.4.2;
· GRUB 2 boot loader;
· X.Org 7.6;
· X.Org Server 126.96.36.1992;
· GNU Iceweasel 13.0 web browser;
· Chromium web browser 18;
· LibreOffice 3.5.4 office suite;
· GParted 0.12.1;
· Empathy 188.8.131.52;
· GIMP 2.8.0;
· Grisbi 0.8.9;
· VirtualBox 4.1.16;
· xFarDic 0.11.7;
· VLC Media Player 2.0.1;
· Adobe Flash Player 11.2;
· Glibc 2.13.
Download Parsix GNU/Linux 4.0r0 Test 1 now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
· Mandriva S.A., through Charles Schulz, posted a very interesting announcement on their blog, asking users to vote for the new name of the Mandriva Linux distribution. Long story short, it looks like Mandriva S.A. wants to separate the Mandriva community and the distribution from the company. Among possible names chosen by Mandriva for the future distribution, we can mention OpenMandriva, Commundriva, Dracanea Linux, Drake Linux, Mana Linux, Mandala Linux, Mira Linux, Moondrake, NorthStar Linux, OpenDrake, Pulsar Linux, and Tulipa Linux. Read more about it here.
· Limbo is not a nice place to be, but for some unbeknown reason it's a great place for game developers. Who would have thought that the adventures of a little boy in a place that could very well be the dreaded Limbo, will make a great game and something to be remembered.
Limbo is built with an amazing physics engine and almost all of the puzzles and conundrums are making use of it. Moreover, the deaths of the main character are one of the most imaginative I’ve ever seen, with the exception of Heart of Darkness.
Read the complete review here.
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.