The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Zorin OS 6, Salix OS 13.37 MATE Live and Snowlinux 2 KDE. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about LPS Public 1.3.5, Tails 0.12, Linux kernel 3.5 RC3, Tiny Core Linux 4.5.5, Liberté Linux 2012.2, ZevenOS-Neptune 2.5.1, Superb Mini Server 1.6.6, Zentyal 3.0 Beta, Fedora 17 ARM, Open-Xchange 6.20.5, Clutter 1.10.8, openSUSE 12.2 Beta 2, Netrunner 4.2, VirtualBox 4.1.18, SuperX 1.1, Red Hat JBoss Data Grid 6, Calibre 0.8.57, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3, Pinguy OS 12.04, Wine 1.5.7, Linux kernel 3.4.4, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a nice review for the Titan Attacks! game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On June 18th, Artyom Zorin proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Zorin OS 6 Core and Ultimate Linux operating systems. Being designed for Windows users, and for those who hate the GNOME Shell and Unity desktop interfaces, Zorin OS 6 comes with a unique desktop environment, called Zorin Desktop.
Highlights of Zorin OS 6:
· Linux kernel 3.2;
· Zorin Desktop;
· Zorin Look Changer;
· Revamped Software Center;
· GTK3 support;
· Zorin Web Browser Manager;
· Zorin Background Plus (only on the Ultimate edition);
· Lots of internal improvements and features;
· Many fixes.
Download Zorin OS 6 now from Softpedia.
On June 19th, George Vlahavas proudly announced that the Live version of the Salix OS 13.37 MATE operating system is now available for download. Salix OS 13.37 MATE is a flavor of the Salix operating system, which is based on the Slackware 13.37 Linux distribution and powered by the MATE (GNOME 2 clone) desktop environment.
This is the Live CD edition of Salix OS 13.37 MATE, which is also the first release ever of Salix OS to incorporate isohybrid technology, allowing users to use the dd command to install it on a USB flash drive. Just like the installable-only version of the Salix OS 13.37 MATE distro, this Live edition also features three modes of installation.
Download Salix OS 13.37 MATE Live now from Softpedia.
On June 20th, Lars Torben Kremer proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the stable release of the Snowlinux 2 KDE Edition operating system. Dubbed Ice, Snowlinux 2 KDE is based on the Debian 6 (Squeeze) operating system and it's powered by the LTS (Long Term Support) Linux kernel 2.6.32 and KDE Software Compilation 4.4.
Highlights of Snowlinux 2 KDE Edition:
· Baseon on Debian 6;
· Linux kernel 2.6.32 (LTS);
· KDE SC 4.4;
· Better installer with support for UUID in fstab and keyboard variants);
· Chromium web browser;
· Icedove email client;
· Banshee music player;
· Shotwell image editor;
· Fushigi Plasma theme;
· Snowlinux KDM theme;
· Snowlinux KSplash theme;
· Snowlinux bootloader theme;
· OpenJDK 6 Java;
· Ubuntu font;
· New look and feel;
· Better software selection;
· Better response and speed;
· Support for contrib, non-free, and debian-multimedia software repositories;
· Updated packages and software;
· Lots of system improvements.
Download Snowlinux 2 KDE now from Softpedia.
· Titan Attacks! is one hell of a retro arcade shooter, and every minute of it is pure joy. We usually keep the conclusion until the end of the article, but we have to get it out of the system before getting on with the review.
Anyone that played Space Invader or the cheaper cousin, Galaxion, will recognize the basic gameplay. The screen is filled right from the start with all the enemies you are going to face in that level and the player has to destroy them all until they reach the bottom part of the screen.
Read the entire review here.
· For this week we've posted an 1080p HD video clip that showcases the features of the upcoming Unity 4 game engine with support for Ubuntu. The video has 4 minutes and 39 seconds, and it was posted by Unity3D.
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.