Welcome to the 203rd issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly!
The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Kororaa 17 Beta, Snowlinux 2 Cinnamon, and Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1. In other news: Linux Mint introduced the mintBox PC. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about ZevenOS-Neptune 2.5, Linux kernel 3.5 RC2, Frugalware 1.7 Pre2, Rhythmbox 2.97, KDE SC 4.9 Beta 1, Linux kernel 3.4.1, MythTV 0.25.1, digiKam 2.6.0, Open Xange 2012.06, Quelitu 4-12.04, Tiny Core Linux 4.5.4, 2X OS 7.1, Samba 4.0 Beta 1, Thunderbird 13, Carmageddon: Reincarnation, Ubuntu DuckDuckGo Lens for Unity, GNOME 3.5.2, Firefox 13, Mplayer 1.1, X.Org 7.7, Ubuntu Server 12.10 Alpha 1, Edubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1, Kubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1, Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1, Calibre 0.8.55, Parted Magic 2012_06_07, KDE SC 4.8.4, Wine 1.5.6, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a very nice tutorial about how to install the Diablo 3 game on Linux, and an interesting review for the Ubuntu Tweak 0.7.1 application. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Announced Distro: Snowlinux 2 Cinnamon
· Announced Distro: Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1
· Other News: Linux Mint presents the mintBox PC
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Ubuntu for Android Demoed at Computex, Samsung Joins The Linux Foundation, and more...
· Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Diablo 3 on Linux
· Review of the Week: Ubuntu Tweak 0.7.1
· Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha Release 1 Quantal Quetzal - Preview & Upcoming Changes
· New Distributions: BlackOpal64 3.0, 2X OS 7.1, Kubuntu/Lubuntu/Edubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1, and more...
· Updated Distributions: Quelitu 4-12.04, OpenXange 2012.06, Absolute Linux 13.53, and more...
· Development Releases: Frugalware Linux 1.7 Pre2, Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.12-63, Emmabuntüs 2 Beta 2, and more...
On June 3rd, Chris Smart proudly announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the first Beta release of the upcoming Kororaa 17 Linux operating system. Dubbed Bubbles, the Kororaa 17 Beta distribution is based on the recently released Fedora 17 release, it features the GNOME 3.4 desktop environment with GNOME Shell (includes software rendering support), KDE Software Compilation 4.8 and the brand-new Cinnamon desktop environment.
Highlights of Kororaa 17 Beta:
· Linux kernel 3.3.7;
· Based on Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle);
· GNOME 3.4;
· KDE SC 4.8;
· Cinnamon (optional);
· VLC Media Player as default media player;
· Mozilla Firefox as default web browser;
· Adobe Flash Player installer;
· Empathy and Choqok microblogging clients;
· Out-of-the-box multimedia support;
· Pre-installed Adblock Plus, Flashblock, DownThemAll and Xclear add-ons for Firefox;
· Added third-party software repositories for installing VirtualBox, Google Chrome, RPMFusion, Adobe;
· Kdenlive and OpenShot video editors;
· SELinux enabled by default;
· Support for English (Australian and British) languages/dictionaries.
Download Kororaa 17 Beta now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a beta release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
On June 4th, Lars Torben Kremer proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Cinnamon edition of the Snowlinux 2 operating system. Dubbed Cream, Snowlinux 2 Cinnamon is based on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system and it is powered by Linux kernel 3.2.0 and Cinnamon, a fork of the GNOME 3 desktop environment.
Highlights of Snowlinux 2 Cinnamon Edition:
· LTS release, based on Ubuntu 12.04;
· Linux kernel 3.2.0-24;
· Cinnamon 1.4-UP3;
· Chromium 18;
· Mozilla Firefox 13.0;
· Mozilla Thunderbird 13.0;
· New look and feel;
· Snowlinux-Metal dekstop theme;
· Snowlinux-Metal icons;
· Better software selection;
· Better response and speed;
· Support for Medibuntu, multiverse, and universe software repositories;
· Added terminal colors;
· Added delete permanently function;
· Added Open in Terminal function;
· Added Open as Administrator function;
· Lots of system improvements.
Download Snowlinux 2 Cinnamon now from Softpedia.
On June 7th, Canonical announced the first Alpha version of the upcoming Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal) operating system. The big changes in Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 are the Linux kernel 3.4.0-5.11 packages, based on the Linux kernel 3.4 upstream release, and the fact that the CD and DVD ISO images were united into a single 800 MB USB image.
Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 now uses udisks2 as the default backend for Unity and GNOME, and Update Manager has been revamped a little. It Includes GCC 4.7, binutils 2.22, eglibc 2.15, Linaro gdb 7.4-2012.04 and Python 3. Moreover, Mozilla Firefox 13.0 is now the default web browser and Mozilla Thunderbird 13.0 is the default email client. Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 also contains packages from the GNOME 3.5.2 desktop environment, with Unity on top of it, of course.
Download Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 now from Softpedia. Remember that this is an alpha release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
· On June 8th, Linux Mint, in collaboration with CompuLab, proudly announced the immediate availability for purchase of a mini PC called mintBox, powered by a custom version of Linux Mint 12 with MATE 1.2 desktop environment and the XBMC media center. Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon is also supported, with full 3D desktop effects. mintBox comes in two editions, basic and pro. The basic edition comes with 250GB HDD, an APU G-T40N (1.0 GHz dual core + Radeon HD 6290 – 9W), 4GB RAM and a flat metal case. On the other hand, the pro edition comes with 8GB RAM, an APU G-T56N (1.65 GHz dual core + Radeon HD 6320 – 18W), 250GB HDD and a ribbed metal case. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· ZevenOS-Neptune 2.5 Has Two Versions, Full Edition and Minimal
· Download Linux Kernel 3.5 Release Candidate 1
· The ISO Images of Mageia 2 Have Been Updated
· Ubuntu for Android Will Be Demoed at Computex
· Frugalware 1.7 Pre2 Has KDE SC 4.8.2
· Steam Coming to Linux in 2012, Maybe
· Rhythmbox 2.97 Available for Download
· First Beta of KDE SC 4.9 Is Available for Testing
· Linux Kernel 3.4.1 Is Available for Download
· MythTV 0.25.1 Available for Download
· digiKam 2.6.0 Can Run Maintenance Process in Background
· Open Xange 2012.06 Has Linux Kernel 3.3.0
· Quelitu 4-12.04 Is Based on Lubuntu 12.04 and Bodhi Linux
· Tiny Core Linux 4.5.4 Is Available for Download
· 2X OS 7.1 Officially Released
· Samsung Joins The Linux Foundation
· Samba 4.0 Beta 1 Brings Support for Windows Active Directory
· Download Thunderbird 13 Final for Linux
· Carmageddon: Reincarnation Coming to Linux
· Introducing Ubuntu DuckDuckGo Lens for Unity
· GNOME 3.5.2 Development Release Is Here
· Firefox 13 Officially Lands in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
· Mplayer 1.1 Finally Available for Download
· X.Org 7.7 Brings Multi-touch Support
· Ubuntu Server 12.10 Alpha 1 Released
· Edubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 Released
· Kubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 Screenshot Tour
· Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 Screenshot Tour
· Calibre 0.8.55 Brings a Revamped Interface
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Images Available on Microsoft Azure
· Parted Magic 2012_06_07 Has Been Released
· KDE SC 4.8.4 Is Now Available for Download
· Emmabuntüs 2 Beta 2 Is Based on Xubuntu 12.04
· Canonical Deems Computex 2012 a Success
· Ubuntu 12.10 Will Have OpenJDK 7
· Calibre Plugin of the Week: EpubSplit
· Download Linux Kernel 3.5 Release Candidate 2
· Wine 1.5.6 Has Support for DirectX Video Rendering
Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Diablo 3 on Linux
· The following tutorial will teach Linux users how to install the Diablo 3 game on their open source operating system.
For this guide, we have used the PlayOnLinux application. We've tested the tutorial on the current 32-bit release of the Ubuntu OS, 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin). Apparently, 64-bit users will not be able to play the game, as there are some 32-bit OpenGL libraries missing.
Read the complete tutorial here.
Review of the Week: Ubuntu Tweak 0.7.1
· A lot of people turned away from Ubuntu because Canonical has slowly, but surely, taken out a lot of customization options, making some of the most menial tasks a chore, pushing back usability and ease of access, as they were a few years ago. Ubuntu Tweaks aims to correct these shortcomings and it's doing it beautifully.
I can finally make Ubuntu look and act in the way I want it, without having to install a lot of programs. Everything I could think of is provided and I'm quite sure more will arrive soon.
Read the entire review here.
Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha Release 1 Quantal Quetzal - Preview & Upcoming Changes
· For this week we've posted an 1080p HD video clip that showcases the features of the Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1 operating system. The video has 4 minutes and 56 seconds, and it was posted by quidsup.
· BlackOpal64 3.0
· 2X OS 7.1
· MLIPenguin-OS 1.0
· Ubuntu Server 12.10 Alpha 1
· Edubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1
· Kubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1
· Lubuntu 12.10 Alpha 1
· Ubuntu Cloud Server 12.10 Alpha 1
· Ubuntu ARM 12.10 Alpha 1
· ZevenOS Neptune 2.5
· Window Maker Live CD 2012-06-02
· Quelitu 4-12.04
· OpenXange 2012.06
· Baltix 2012-05
· Tiny Core Linux 4.5.4
· Absolute Linux 13.53
· Parted Magic 2012_06_07
· Live! Server! 3.1
· Debian Live 6.0.4
· 4MLinux Allinone Edition 3.3 RC1
· Frugalware Linux 1.7 Pre2
· 4MLinux 3.3 Development Edition
· Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.12-63
· Emmabuntüs 2 Beta 2
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.