The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Debian 6.0.5, Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.05 and grml 2012.05 RC1. In other news: Google released the Google Chrome 19 web browser and Canonical published various design-related jobs for Ubuntu. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Linux kernel 3.3.6, Linux kernel 3.4 RC7, Liberté Linux 2012.1, SystemRescueCd 2.7.0, Netrunner 4.2 RC, IPFire 2.11 Core 59, Midori 0.4.6, Nautilus 3.4.2, Parted Magic 2012_05_14, GNOME Boxes 3.4.2, Kdenlive 0.9, MonoDevelop 3.0, GNOME Tweak Tool 3.4.0, Redo Backup and Recovery 1.03, Siduction 12.1 RC, CUPS 1.5.3, OS4 12.1.1, Linux Mint 13 RC, Open-Xchange 6.20.4, Nvidia 295.53, 0 A.D. Alpha 10, Calibre 0.8.52, Stellarium 0.11.3, Zorin OS 6.0 RC, Transmission 2.52, and much more. For this week we've also prepared an interesting review for the popular DVDStyler 2.1 application. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On May 12th, the Debian project proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the fifth maintenance release of the Debian 6 Linux operating system. Debian 6.0.5 brings fixes to various security issues, as well as improvements to some serious problems. Some of the packages included in the previous versions of the distribution were also updated with the Debian 6.0.5 release.
Among the fixes and improvements brought by Debian 6.0.5 we can mention that the Linux kernel packages have been updated to version 126.96.36.199, an OpenVPN fixes, php-memcache fix, OpenSSH fix, fix resolving issues with broken servers that returned FORMERR or NOTIMP to AAAA eglibc queries, phppgadmin fix, evolution-data-server fix, Python 2.6, wicd fix, sysvinit improvements, and much more.
Download Debian 6.0.5 now from Softpedia.
On May 14th, Anke Boersma proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.05 operating system. Dubbed Archimedes, Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.05 is the third maintenance release for 2012 and it is powered by Linux kernel 3.2.8 and KDE Software Compilation 4.8.3. It also contains QtWebkit 2.2.1, Qt 4.8.1, GCC 4.7, Glib2 2.15, and an optional Linux kernel 3.0.22.
Highlights of Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.05:
· Linux kernel 3.2.8;
· Linux kernel 3.0.22 (optional);
· KDE Software Compilation 4.8.3;
· Qt 4.8.1;
· GCC 4.7;
· Glib2 2.15;
· QtWebkit 2.2.1;
· Switch to kmod;
· tomoyo-tools 2.5;
· initscripts were updated to allow testing of systemd;
· wqy-microhei is now the default font for Japanese, Chinese and Korean languages.
Download Chakra GNU/Linux 2012.05 now from Softpedia.
On May 17th, Michael Prokop announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the first Release Candidate of the upcoming grml 2012.05 Debian-based operating system. Dubbed Ponyhof and based on Debian Testing (15/05/2012), grml 2012.05 RC1 comes with the missing tools from the downsized 2011.12 release of grml, and the team revived the grml-small flavour. The final release of the grml 2012.05 Linux distribution is scheduled for the end of the month.
Highlights of grml 2012.05 RC1:
· Linux kernel 3.3.6 (with no additional modules);
· Added grml-hwinfo tool to retrive NUMA information from numactl;
· Re-added simplified support for brltty;
· Added support for the 9p-virtio filesystem, to mount DCS-directory (debs, configuration and scripts - see man grml-autoconfig for details);
· The ssh bootoption can be used to set a SSH password for the "grml" user and a new password for root;
· /media is now used as the default mount target;
· Removed the grml-feedback utility;
· Modified the end of the main syslinux config file with a few kB of lines made of # characters;
· Fixed lots of annoying bugs.
Download grml 2012.05 RC1 now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
· On May 15th, Google proudly announced that they have unleashed the stable and final version of the Google Chrome 19 web browser for Linux, Macintosh, Windows and Chrome Frame platforms. Google Chrome 19 (the actual version is 19.0.1084.46) brings a lots of bugfixes and a few new features including tab synchronization technology. Read more about it here.
· On May 17th, Canonical posted six design-related positions for the Ubuntu operating system: 3D Effects and Transitions Artist, Graphic / Visual Designer, Interaction Designer / User Experience Architect, Usability Specialist, UX Architect, and UX Architect - Web. Why work at Canonical? Because of an engaged community, exceptional professionals, an influential project, a challenge every day. Read more about it here.
· There was a time when people were preoccupied with DVD authoring, and I was one of them, trying to create more and more elaborated menus and covers. It became somehow a lot less important over the years, but after trying DVDStyler I feel the urge to start all over again.
I always start with the bad in a review, but the fact is that DVDStyler delivers exactly what it promises and nothing more. This is probably the only thing I can think of. I believe it could only benefit from an advanced mode and even some more features like animated buttons.
Read the entire review here.
· ExTiX 10
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.