Welcome to the 199th issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly!
The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Puppy Linux 5.3.3 Slacko, SolusOS 1, Salix OS 13.37 MATE and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Business Remix. In other news: Ubuntu Developer Summit for Ubuntu 12.10 took place this week in Oakland, USA, where Mark Shuttleworth talked about the present and future of the Ubuntu OS. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Vyatta 6.4, Slackel KDE 4.8.2-1, Linux kernel 3.4 RC6, Porteus 1.2 RC2, Linux kernel 3.3.5, FreeNAS 8.0.4-p2, Ikki Boot 5.0, Apache OpenOffice 3.4, Devil-Linux 1.6.1, Mageia 2 RC, Rocks Cluster 6.0, Tiny Core Linux 4.5.2, Calibre 0.8.51, Emmabuntüs 1.02, ConnMan 1.0, PulseAudio 2.0, and much more. For this week we've also prepared an interesting review for the popular Google Chrome 18 web browser. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Announced Distro: SolusOS 1
· Announced Distro: Salix OS 13.37 MATE
· Announced Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Business Remix
· Other News: Mark Shuttleworth Explains HUD for Ubuntu 12.10
· Softpedia Linux Blog: CyanogenMod Compiler for Ubuntu, Lots of UDS-Q news, and more...
· Review of the Week: Google Chrome 18
· Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu for Android - Two Kinds of Linux On Your Phone
· New Distributions: OSGeo-Live 5.5, SprezzOS 0.0.0 Pre and Xinutop 120501
· Distributions Updated Last Week: Ikki Boot 5.0, Tiny Core Linux 4.5.2, Emmabuntüs 1.02, and more...
· Development Releases: Porteus 1.2 RC2, Mageia 2 RC, Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.12-55, and more...
On May 5th, Barry Kauler announced the immediate availability for download of the Puppy "Slacko" 5.3.3 Linux distribution, based on the Slackware Linux 13.37 operating system. Puppy Linux "Slacko" 5.3.3 is an update of the 5.3.1 version, bringing fixes and improvements. It is now powered by Linux kernel 3.1.10 and built with packages from Salix, Slackware and Slacky software repositories, and binary compatible with Slackware 13.37.
Highlights of Puppy Linux "Slacko" 5.3.3:
· Linux kernel 3.1.10 (with Aufs layered filesystem support);
· SCSI boot support in the ISO image;
· SeaMonkey 2.9.1 is now used as default web browser and email client;
· Installers for Chromium, Netsurf, Mozilla Firefox, Dillo and Opera web browsers;
· PAE version for PCs with large amounts of RAM;
· Added Slickpet, a lite version of Quickpet that supports installing SFS packages;
· LibreOffice 3.5.3 office suite;
· Java Runtime Environment;
· Samba 3.5.4;
· Puppy Package Manager now supports Slackware, Slacky and Salix packages in txz or tgz format;
· Added sfs_load to handle Puppy's SFS packages;
· Support for many audio and video formats;
· Added netboot version in order to boot Puppy Slacko over the LAN.
Download Puppy Linux "Slacko" 5.3.3 now from Softpedia.
On May 9th, Ikey Doherty proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the first and stable version of the SolusOS operating system. The SolusOS 1 Linux distribution, which was in development (with one Testing release, 2 Beta releases and 4 Release Candidate versions) from the beginning of the year, is now available for 32-bit architectures only. Dubbed Evelin, SolusOS 1 is based on the stable version of the Debian operating system, it is powered by Linux kernel 3.0 with PAE support, and features the GNOME 2.30 classic desktop environment stuffed with up-to-date applications like Firefox/Thunderbird 12 or LibreOffice 3.5.
Highlights of SolusOS 1:
· Linux Kernel 3.0.0 (with PAE, BFS, and preempt);
· GNOME 2.30;
· FirstRunWizard 0.8;
· Mozilla Firefox 12.0
· Mozilla Thunderbird 12.0.1;
· LibreOffice 18.104.22.168;
· Openshot 1.4.2;
· PlayOnLinux 4.0.18;
· VLC 2.0.1.
Download SolusOS 1 now from Softpedia.
Also on May 9th, George Vlahavas proudly announced that a new edition of the Salix OS 13.37 operating system is now available for download, featuring the MATE desktop environment. Salix OS 13.37 MATE is a flavor of the Salix operating system, which is based on the Slackware 13.37 Linux distribution.
Just like the main version of Salix OS 13.37, the MATE edition offers three installation modes: full, basic and core. The full mode installs all the packages included on the ISO image, providing a complete MATE desktop environment with the Atril document viewer, the MATE power manager, the Engrampa archive manager, the MATE system utilities and many more.
Download Salix OS 13.37 MATE now from Softpedia.
On May 10th, Canonical proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Business Remix operating system. Created for small businesses and corporate/government environments, Canonical removed all the games, file sharing apps, social networking programs, and technical utilities from this edition of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Business Remix includes VMware Viewer, the OpenJDK 6 Java Runtime Environment, and Adobe’s Flash Player plugin. But that’s not all! Because it is now based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin), the Business Remix also features support for Microsoft Windows RDP 7.1 and the Microsoft Visio diagram importer in LibreOffice Draw.
Download Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Business Remix now from Softpedia.
· On May 7th, Mark Shuttleworth, father of the popular Ubuntu Linux distribution, delivered his usual keynote where he talked about the present and the future of Ubuntu, including topics like Ubuntu TV, usability of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, HUD teaser, and integration of paper and origami elements into the theme of Ubuntu 12.10. Ubuntu Developer Summit for Quantal Quetzal, the upcoming version of the popular Ubuntu operating system, took place this week in Oakland, California, USA, between 7 and 11 May.
Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· Vyatta 6.4 Enhances GUI Interface
· Slackel KDE 4.8.2-1 Officially Released
· Download Linux Kernel 3.4 Release Candidate 6
· SolusOS RC4 Has Mozilla Firefox 12
· Porteus 1.2 RC2 Has Linux Kernel 3.3.4
· Canonical demos LibreOffice on Ubuntu for Android
· Introducing CyanogenMod Compiler for Ubuntu
· Linux Kernel 3.3.5 Is Available for Download
· FreeNAS 8.0.4-p2 Has Samba 3.6.5
· Salix OS MATE 13.37 RC2 Available for Download
· New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 11.04
· Ubuntu Will Ship on 5% of PCs Worldwide
· Ikki Boot 5.0 No Longer Has Cdlinux
· Apache OpenOffice 3.4 Officially Announced
· Devil-Linux 1.6.1 Has Linux Kernel 3.2.15
· Two EA Games Arrive in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
· Dell to Launch Ubuntu 12.04 Laptop
· Canonical Will Secure Distribution of 3rd-Party Apps
· Unity 2D Will Be Removed from Ubuntu 12.10
· Ubuntu 12.10 To Feature Linux Kernel 3.5
· Mageia 2 RC Has Linux Kernel 3.3.4
· Ubuntu 12.10 Will Have Its Own Control Panel
· EA at UDS. Should We Care?
· Calxeda Presents First ARM Ubuntu Cloud Server
· Ubuntu 12.10 Will Have GNOME 3.6
· Rocks Cluster 5.5 / 6.0 Officially Released
· No More Wacky Names for Fedora
· Ubuntu 12.10 Daily ISO Images Are Now Available
· Download Tiny Core Linux 4.5.2 Now
· Calibre 0.8.51 Has Motorola XT875 and SuperNova Drivers
· Ubuntu 12.10 Won't Have Btrfs Filesystem
· Vivaldi KDE Tablet Has New Hardware Specs
· Emmabuntüs 1.02 Available for Download
· ConnMan 1.0 Final Officially Released
· Canonical Will Make an Ubuntu Filesystem for Embedded Devices
· Wine 1.5.4 Brings a New DirectSound Resampler
· PulseAudio 2.0 Has Jack Detection
· Canonical Prepares a GNOME Flavor of Ubuntu
Review of the Week: Google Chome 18
· Google Chrome is the new kid on the block, in regard to the other heavy hitters on the market, but it's the richest one. It's backed up by one of largest corporations on the planet and it became an important player in a very short time.
There is no question in my mind about the quality of Google Chrome and I'm quite certain that the third position it currently occupies in the world is a well-deserved one. It's light and fun to use, in a casual way, but when it comes to heavy usage, it is not quite on par with its main competitor, Mozilla Firefox, at least on the Linux platform.
Read the entire review here
Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu for Android - Two Kinds of Linux On Your Phone
· For this week we've posted a video clip that demos the upcoming features of the Ubuntu for Android project from Canonical. The video has 4 minutes and 53 seconds, and it was posted by webmink.
· OSGeo-Live 5.5
· SprezzOS 0.0.0 Pre
· Xinutop 120501
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· Vyatta 6.4
· Slackel Linux KDE 4.8.2-1
· ThinStation 5.1
· Ikki Boot 5.0
· 4MLinux Game Edition 3.2
· Devil-Linux 1.6.1
· Tiny Core Linux 4.5.2
· Emmabuntüs 1.02
· KXStudio 12.04
· Liberté Linux 2012.1
· Porteus 1.2 RC2
· Mageia 2 RC
· Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.12-55
· Openwall GNU/Linux 20120508
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.