The following Linux news were published last week: the stable and final version of the Xfce 4.10 desktop environment has been released, bringing interesting features; Mark Shuttleworth talked to Ubuntu users on the usual "Ask Mark" session on IRC; The GIMP 2.8 image editor has been released and it brings lots of new features and improvements. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Wine 1.5.3, Tiny Core Linux 4.5.1, Tails 0.11, Linux kernel 3.4 RC5, Samba 3.6.5, Nautilus 3.5.1, Empathy 3.5.1, CrunchBang 11 R20120430, Tizen SDK 1.0, OpenBSD 5.1, Intel video driver 2.19, LibreOffice 3.5.3, Semplice Linux 3.0 Alpha 2, GNOME 3.5.1, Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix 12.04, ArchBang 2012.05, Bauer-Puntu Linux 12.04, KDE SC 4.8.3, Calibre 0.8.50, Nvidia video driver 295.49, LPS Public 1.3.4, Vendetta Online 1.8.219, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a nice tutorial about how to upgrade Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and an interesting review for the Mozilla Firefox 12.0 web browser. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· On April 28th, after more than one year of hard work, the Xfce development team proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Xfce 4.10 desktop environment. Xfce 4.10 supersedes the previous Xfce 4.8 version found on major Linux distributions, and it comes with improved user experience and a polished desktop interface. Read more about it here.
· On May 1st, Mark Shuttleworth was present at the "Ask Mark" IRC session event to talk with the Ubuntu users, were he answered a few interesting questions. The "Ask Mark" session was part of the Ubuntu Open Week event, which took place between May 2nd and May 4th on IRC. Softpedia published some of the most important (in our opinion) ones, asked by various users who attended the "Ask Mark" event on IRC on May 1st. Read more about it here.
· On March 3rd, the GIMP development team unleashed the final version of the highly anticipated GIMP 2.8 image editor software. As expected, GIMP 2.8 brings numerous changes, including new and updated features, bugfixes, as well as stability improvements. GIMP 2.8 comes with amazing new features, such as the highly acclaimed single window mode, layer groups, full on-canvas text editing capabilities, and many more. Read more about it here.
Tutorial of the Week: How to Upgrade Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
· The following tutorial will teach Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) users how to upgrade their operating system to the brand-new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) release.
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
This tutorial is addressed to Ubuntu 11.10 users who just want to upgrade their current installation to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and don't know how. It will make things very simple for you, but if you get stuck somewhere in the middle of the installation and you need help, do not hesitate to use our commenting system at the end of the article!
· A year ago the community was redding itself for the new and improved Firefox 4.0, but the users didn't just receive a new browser, but also a new roadmap for future releases.
Mozilla Firefox 12.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
The best feature of Firefox, the multitude of add-ons, is also its greatest problem. The fact of the matter is that some features should be available by default and not introduced with third party extensions. In theory, add-ons sound great, but they can also slow down the browser and even the operating system, especially when there are a lot of them, like in the case of a power user.