The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Gentoo Linux 12.1 and ClearOS Community 6.2.0 RC1. In other news: Canonical presented the default wallpapers for the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Linux kernel 3.4 RC1, Quake2World Beta, Xfce 4.10 Preview, Fuduntu 2012.2, Trine 2, FreeBSD 8.3 RC2, Linux Tycoon, Linux Kernel 3.3.1, DEFT Linux 7.1, VirtualBox 4.1.12, Indiana LinuxFest, ownCloud 2012, GNOME 3.4 Live CD, Qt 5.0 Alpha, COSCUP Conference, OS4, KDE SC 4.8.2, Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, GIMP 2.8.0 RC1, Puppy Linux Wary/Racy 5.3, Rockbox 3.11, MAAS, LibreOffice 3.5.2, and much more. For this week we've also prepared an interesting tutorial about how to install Firefox 12 on Ubuntu OSes, and a nice review for the Swords & Soldiers game. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On April 1st, Robin H. Johnson proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Gentoo Linux 12.1 operating system. Gentoo Linux 12.1 is a quite a major upgrade to the popular distro, bringing bleeding-edge features like Linux kernel 3.3, XOrg Server 1.12.0, KDE Software Compilation 4.8.1, GNOME 3.2.1, LibreOffice 3.5, VLC 2.0.1, Mozilla Firefox 11, and much more.
Also on April 3rd, Peter Baldwin announced that the first Release Candidate of the upcoming ClearOS Community 6.2.0 operating system is now available for download and testing. ClearOS Community 6.2.0 RC1 is a major release including lots of interesting changes and improvements, especially that it is built on the source code from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2.
Highlights of ClearOS Community 6.2 RC1:
· Marketplace; · Based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2; · Added 64-bit support; · Graphical installer; · Support for Wireless (ClearBOX); · Support for Windows BDC; · App developer framework; · Synchronization for Google Apps; · Connector for Active Directory; · Support for Account Synchronization (Master/Slave); · Kaspersky Gateway Antivirus; · Kaspersky File Scan; · RADIUS.
Download ClearOS Community 6.2 RC1 now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
· On April 5th, Canonical presented the default wallpapers for the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system. As usual, there are fourteen new wallpapers in total, for the upcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system, due for release on April 26th, 2012. The default Ubuntu wallpaper has received some small modification and it is now more orangish. Read more about it here.
Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 12 on Ubuntu
· The following tutorial will teach Ubuntu users how to "unofficially" update their systems to the Mozilla Firefox 12.0 web browser.
Firefox 12 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Mozilla Firefox 12.0 can be installed in the following Ubuntu operating systems: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin), Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx).
· Swords & Soldiers is a tower defense game, mixed with some strategy and lots of humor. Its genre can’t be pinpointed precisely and at the same time it’s not any of the aforementioned ones.
Swords & Soldiers game running on Ubuntu 11.10
The humor is a big part of the game and right from the start is one of the things that makes Swords & Soldiers a lovable title, and combined with the wacky art direction and overall feeling, aside from the minor gameplay problems, it’s a great pastime.
· For this week we've posted an 1080p HD video clip that takes you inside the process by which the largest collaborative development project in the history of computing, Linux, is organized. The video has 3 minutes and 12 seconds, and it was posted by TheLinuxFoundation.