Welcome to the 187th issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly!
The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Finnix 104, Scientific Linux 6.2 and Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS. In other news: The Document Foundation released the LibreOffice 3.5 office suite; the VideoLAN organization announced the release of VLC 2.0 Media Player. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Nvidia 295.20, Firefox 10.0.1, Ubuntu Server Survey 2012, IPCop Firewall 2.0.3, Transmission 2.50 Beta 1, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, openSUSE 12.2 Milestone 1, Calibre 0.8.40, Proxmox VE 2.0 RC1, Scientific Linux Live CD 6.2, Tiny Core Linux 4.3, Linux kernel 3.3 RC4, and much more. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Announced Distro: Scientific Linux 6.2
· Announced Distro: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
· In other news: LibreOffice 3.5 and VLC 2.0
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Introducing UniDockyNapse: Ubuntu 11.10 With a Dock, and more...
· Video Clip of the Week: Testing Ubuntu TV on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin"
· New Distributions: Snowlinux LXDE 2 RC1, UniDockyNapse 11.10, livarp 0.3.1 and NouvaLinux 11.08.1c
· Distributions Updated Last Week: Ubuntu Server/Kubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, Tiny Core Linux 4.3, and more...
· Development Releases: VectorLinux SOHO 7.0 RC1.8, SolusOS Beta 1, SmartRouter 3.0 RC1, and more...
On February 14th, Ryan Finnie announced on Valentain's Day (Feburary 14th) the immediate availability for download of a new version of his Finnix Linux distribution, now powered by the recently released Linux kernel 3.2. Being a maintenance release, Finnix 104 is here to bring a large number of bugfixes, various new packages and some new minor features.
Among the fixes brought by Finnix 104 we can mention firewire booting, lintian warnings, /etc/mtab not updated, unable to use when booted from USB, and stage2 requires extracted root. The Linux 3.2 kernel that can be found in the Finnix 104 release was produced by the Finnix developers and it uses a kernel configuration partially based on Debian pre-release kernels.
Download Finnix 104 now from Softpedia.
Also on February 15th, Pat Riehecky proudly announced last night, February 15th, the immediate availability for download of the Scientific Linux 6.2 operating system. Being based on the Red Hat Linux Enterprise 6.2, the Scientific Linux 6.2 distribution contains all the upstream goodies, as well as lots of in-house updates and improvements.
Highlights of Scientific Linux 6.2:
· Added the Scientific Linux install classes to Anaconda installer;
· Installations from DVD images don't ask for a network connection unless needed;
· Updated OpenAFS to version 1.6.0-97.z2.sl6;
· Patched OpenAFS to disable NAT pings in order to avoid a race condition;
· Updated livecd-tools and liveusb-creator to version 13.4;
· Added support for Scientific Linux 6.2 in livecd-tools and liveusb-creator tools;
· Troy Dawson's GPG key was removed from sl-release;
· CERN's GPG key was added in sl-release;
· Added the POSTRUN and PRERUN in yum-autoupdate for more flexibility;
· yum-fastestmirror is now required for yum-conf-* packages;
· New 64-bit Adobe repository is now available in the External Repositories for yum;
· The mingw32, openmpi-psm and hivex packages were removed from the i386 tree as they don't belong in there.
Download Scientific Linux 6.2 now from Softpedia.
On February 16th, Canonical proudly announced the fourth and last maintenance release for the long term supported Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) operating system. The Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS release brings to its dedicated users a lot of security updates and corrections, all with a single goal: to keep Ubuntu 10.04 LTS a stable and reliable Linux distribution.
Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS (Lucid Lynx) fixes some installation issues, offers backported updated hardware support, incorporates corrections for annoying desktop bugs and security updates. Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS (Lucid Lynx) is distributed as Desktop, Alternate and Server editions for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Kubuntu 10.04.4 LTS ISO images (desktop and alternate editions) are also available for download (see links at the end of the article).
Download Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS now from Softpedia.
· On February 14th, with a one week delay, The Document Foundation company launched the final and stable release release of the LibreOffice 3.5 open source office suite for Linux, Windows and Macintosh platforms. LibreOffice 3.5 brings lots of new and attractive features, as well as overall stability improvements to all its components, and the usual bug fixes. Read more about it here.
· On February 18th, the VideoLAN organization proudly unleashed the final and stable release of the highly anticipated VLC 2.0 media player. VLC Media Player 2.0 is a major upgrade to the extremely popular video player, which comes with the ability to open more formats, experimental Blu-Ray support, faster decoding on multi-core CPUs and mobile hardware, and professional High-Definition and 10-bits codecs. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· New Nvidia Linux Driver Fixes GNOME Shell Issues
· Linux Kernel 3.2.6 Is Available for Download
· Firefox 10.0.1 Officially Lands in Ubuntu OSes
· New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 11.04 and 10.10
· New Kernel Vulnerabilities Affect Ubuntu 11.10
· Canonical Presents Ubuntu Server Survey 2012
· IPCop Firewall 2.0.3 Is Available for Download
· Download Transmission 2.50 Beta 1 for Linux
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Has a New Lock Screen
· Introducing UniDockyNapse: Ubuntu 11.10 With a Dock
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Is in Feature Freeze
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Adds Privacy Settings
· openSUSE 12.2 Milestone 1 Has KDE SC 4.8
· openSUSE 12.2 Milestone 1 Screenshot Tour
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Gets Unity Video Lens
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Gets HUD Interface
· Calibre 0.8.40 Has Page Count for Kindle
· Scientific Linux Live CD 6.2 Available for Download
· Tiny Core Linux 4.3 Officially Released
· Download Linux Kernel 3.3 RC4 Now
· Proxmox VE 2.0 RC1 Available for Download
Video Clip of the Week: Testing Ubuntu TV on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin"
· For this week we've posted a 720p HD video clip that showcases the upcoming Ubuntu TV operating system. The video has 2 minutes and 41 seconds, and it was posted by KernelMX.
· Snowlinux LXDE 2 RC1
· UniDockyNapse 11.10
· livarp 0.3.1
· NouvaLinux 11.08.1c
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· 4MLinux Game Edition 3.1
· Kubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
· Ubuntu Server 10.04.4 LTS
· Tiny Core Linux 4.3
· Scientific Linux Live CD 6.2
· Brasa OS 0.7
· VectorLinux SOHO 7.0 RC1.8
· SolusOS Beta 1
· SmartRouter 3.0 RC1
· Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.12-18
· Proxmox VE 2.0 RC1
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.