Happy New Year! The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Tiny Core Linux 4.2, EeeMC 12.04.24 and Calculate Linux 11.12. In other news: Softedia introduced the new Copy Plain Text 2 add-on for Mozilla products. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Grml 2011.12, Semplice Linux 2.0.0, Superb Mini Server 1.6.3, OpenJDK 6.0 ARM Port for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, PeaZip 4.3, Thunderbird 10.0 Beta 1, Miro 4.0.4, Vendetta Online 1.8.203-204, Untangle 9.1.1, Vuze 184.108.40.206, Ubuntu 11.10 Razor-qt Remix, XOrg Server 1.12 RC1, SMPlayer 0.6.10, Qbittorrent 2.9.3, Netrunner 4.0, GNU IceCat 9.0.1, and much more. For this week we've also prepared three very nice reviews for Gish 1.6.1, Shank and Jamestown: Legend Of The Lost Colony indie games for Linux. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Announced Distro: EeeMC 12.04.24
· Announced Distro: Calculate Linux 11.12
· Other News: Copy Plain Text 2
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Ubuntu Unity Social Networking Lens, Ubuntu Unity Calendar Lens, and more...
· Review of the Week: Gish 1.6.1 Review
· Bonus Review of the Week: Shank Review
· Bonus Review of the Week: Jamestown: Legend Of The Lost Colony Review
· Video Clip of the Week: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012
· New Distributions: Ubuntu Razor-qt Remix and Calculate Media Center 11.12
· Distributions Updated Last Week: Semplice Linux 2.0.0, Superb Mini Server 1.6.3, Dreamlinux 5.0, and more...
· Development Releases: VectorLinux Light 7.0 Beta 1 and Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.11-40
On December 27th, Robert Shingledecker proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Tiny Core Linux 4.2 and Tiny Core Plus Linux 4.2 operating systems. This new version of Tiny Core brings the initial release of the Tiny Core Plus operating system, which offers an easy way to get started with the Tiny Core philosophy. Tiny Core Plus 4.2 provides many window managers, including FLWM, Joe's Window Manager, ICE Window Manager, Fluxbox, Hackedbox, FLWM Classic, and more.
Highlights of Tiny Core Linux 4.2:
· /opt/.tce_dir moved to /etc/sysconfig/tcedir;
· Xvesa,tcz, Xprogs,tcz, Xlibs.tcz, fltk-1.10.tcz, flwm.tcz, wbar.tcz, and flwm_topside.tcz were updated;
· Xlibs.tcz and Xprogs.tcz were refactored for Xprogs.tcz to include only FLTK GUI apps, making it optional;
· fltk-1.10.tcz includes only FLTK libs;
· tce-setup was update for embedded initrd extensions using /tmp/builtin;
· tce-setup was updated to write cde information to /etc/sysconfig;
· tce-setup was updated to support better detection of cde if is not found on CD-ROM;
· cpanel was updated to activate only the Xvesa button when Xvesa is loaded;
· Default focus on OK button for exittc, for quicker use from keyboard, was updated;
· mntttol was updated to call rebuildfstab;
· startx was updated to support desktop boot code much better;
· startx can now call setupdesktop;
· tce-setup.sh and tc-config were updated for refined definition of the base boot code;
· Various full paths were cleaned, adjusting /opt/.xfiletool.lst and /opt/.filetool.lst;
· Added /usr/bin/exittc script to exit window manager when no apps are used;
· Added /usr/bin/backup script that can be used when no apps are used;
· .xsession can now store X pid;
· Added setupdesktop made out of startx in Xlibs.tcz;
· Added Xprogs.tcz startup script that supports X/GUI desktop loading;
· .dep files now include fltk-1.10 libs. Supported window managers can now be used without Xprogs;
· interface files now support the following window manager extensions: flwm_topside.tcz, fluxbox.tcz, flwm.tcz, hackedbox.tcz, icewm-full.tcz, icewm.tcz, jwm.tcz and jwm-snapshot.tcz.
· Many other small bugfixes.
Download Tiny Core Linux 4.2 and Tiny Core Plus 4.2 now from Softpedia.
Also on December 27th, Whosa announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the EeeMC 12.04.24 Beta operating system. EeeMC 12.04.24 is now based on the upcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin) operating system and includes the latest MythTV 0.24 open source digital video recorder (DVR) and the powerful XBMC Media Center 11.0 Beta, the award-winning, free and open source software media player and entertainment hub for digital media.
Being a Beta release, EeeMC 12.04.24 has a couple of issues here and there, but it works better than the previous version based on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) and it also includes interesting features, such as the addition of a PulseAudio-based 15 band Graphic Equalizer, which can be easily configured for different sound setups. Users will also be able to compile their very own ISO image, which allows for custom Name, User Name, or Computer Name. How to instructions are included in the EeeMC 12.04.24 ISO image.
Download EeeMC 12.04.24 Beta now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a beta release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
On December 30th, Alexander Tratsevskiy proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Calculate Linux 11.12 operating system, all editions. Calculate Linux 11.12 brings many changes, especially the inclusion of the new Linux kernel 3.1.6, X.Org 7.4, KDE SC 4.7.4, GNOME 2.32, Amarok 2.4.3, and LibreOffice 3.4.4 office suite.
Highlights of Calculate Linux 11.12:
· Linux kernel 3.1.6;
· X.Org 7.4;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.7.4;
· GNOME 2.32;
· Xfce 4.8;
· Openbox 3.5.0;
· LibreOffice 3.4.4;
· Chromium 16.0.912.63;
· digiKam 2.3.0;
· Amarok 2.4.3;
· Bind 9.7.4-P1;
· OpenLDAP 2.4.24;
· Postfix 2.8.7;
· ProFTPD 1.3.4a;
· Samba 3.5.11;
· The GIMP 2.6.11;
· XBMC Media Center 10.1;
· Support for PXE network boot;
· Ability to specify domain and domain password for Live CD/USB or PXE;
· Ability to specify timezone and language preferences for newly created ISOs;
· Ability to specify IO scheduler;
· Faster portage trees;
· Improved binary repositories (Portage updates sync);
· Added Spanish and French installation guides;
· Lots of fixes for English messages;
· Fixed copying symbolic links in domain user profile;
· Fixed Live Flash image update;
· Fixed CLT templates installation;
· Partition types can now be changed without problems.
Download Calculate Linux 11.12 Desktop (GNOME and KDE) now from Softpedia.
· On December 29th, Softpedia introduced the new Copy Plain Text extension, a very useful add-on for Mozilla products, especially for Firefox, when you deal with lots of text copying from web pages on a daily basis, which replaces the old Copy Plain Text. Created by Leszek Życzkowski, the brand-new Copy Plain Text 2 add-on allows you to copy selected text without any HTML formatting like bold, italic, font size, etc. All you have to do is to select the desired text, right click and select "Copy as plain text" from context menu choose. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· Grml 2011.12 Has Linux Kernel 3.1.6
· Semplice Linux 2.0.0 Officially Announced
· Superb Mini Server 1.6.3 Has KDE SC
· Test OpenJDK 6.0 ARM Port for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
· PeaZip 4.3 Has Support for EPUB
· Download Thunderbird 10.0 Beta 1 for Linux
· Introducing Ubuntu Social Networking Lens for Unity
· Miro 4.0.4 Has Kindle Fire Support
· Vendetta Online 1.8.203-204 Brings Five New Missions
· Untangle 9.1.1 Officially Announced
· PHP 5.4 To Be Included in Fedora 17
· Vuze 220.127.116.11 Brings Filter Mode for Files
· Introducing Ubuntu Web Sources Lens for Unity
· Introducing Ubuntu 11.10 Razor-qt Remix
· XOrg Server 1.12 RC1 Brings Multi-touch
· Download SMPlayer 0.6.10 With VDPAU Configuration
· Qbittorrent 2.9.3 Fixes Banning of IPv6 Peers
· Netrunner 4.0 Officially Released
· IceCat 9.0.1 is Based on Firefox 9.0.1
· Ubuntu Razor-qt Remix Screenshot Tour
· Introducing Ubuntu Calendar Lens for Unity
Review of the Week: Gish 1.6.1
· Gish it's a not so popular game released back in the 2004 by Chronic Logic studio and developed by Alex Austin, Edmund McMillen and Josiah Pisciotta. It can be considered that Gish is the hipster of the indie game universe, being probably one of the first games of its type to be developed with melancholy initiative in mind.
Gish is an indie game that came out too early for it's own good. It was considered a weird apparition in 2004 and now it feels out of place. It's not a bad title, but I can't find it engaging at all. Maybe it's a personal issue, and others may feel different, but there are a lot of other options on the market to choose from.
Read the complete tutorial here.
Bonus Review of the Week: Shank for Linux
· There aren't many games like Shank available today. Once upon a time, titles like Final Fight and others before it used a simple recipe: fight your way through screen after screen, in 2D, defeating multiple enemies at once, and encountering a major boss from time to time.
Everything about Shank screams of quality, from animations to the story itself. It's hard not to like the game, even if you're squeamish about the blood an the gore. Some people, like myself, might even enjoy it for these very reasons. Get a friend, play the co-op campaign, and Shank becomes a title to remember.
Read the complete tutorial here.
Bonus Review of the Week: Jamestown: Legend Of The Lost Colony for Linux
· Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony is a top down shooter game developed by Final Form Games which tries to emulate older games, from 20 years ago. In an era when all the games are about glamor and nice graphics, Jamestown is all about gameplay and fun.
Its nice to know that there are people out there that still believe we need games like this one. Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony is a lot of fun and it gets way better if you play it with friends. If it weren't for the weird controls, this would have made a much better impression.
Read the complete tutorial here.
Video Clip of the Week: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012
· For this week we've posted a 1080p high-definition video clip with some nice Indian animation for the new year anniversary event. The video has 1 minute and 40 seconds, and it was posted by KidsOne. Happy New Year!
· Ubuntu Razor-qt Remix
· Calculate Media Center 11.12
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· Semplice Linux 2.0.0
· Superb Mini Server 1.6.3
· Tor-ramdisk 20111225
· AUSTRUMI 2.4.8
· 4MLinux Server Edition 3.1
· Netrunner 4.0
· Calculate Linux Desktop Xfce 11.12
· Calculate Linux Directory Server 11.12
· Calculate Linux Scratch 11.12
· Calculate Linux Scratch Server 11.12
· Dreamlinux 5.0
· VectorLinux Light 7.0 Beta 1
· Clonezilla LiveCD 1.2.11-40
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.