I would like to start this weekly by wishing Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of our readers. Thank you for your continued support guys!
The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.12, Sabily 11.10 and CentOS 6.2. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Wine 1.3.35, XOrg Server 1.11.3, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.8 Beta, Frugalware 1.6 Pre2, Firefox 9.0, Webconverger 10.2, Linpus Lite 1.6, Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.2, PUIAS Linux 6.2, VLC 1.1.13, Synaptic 0.75.4, LibreOffice 3.5.0 Beta 1, PfSense 2.0.1, phpMyAdmin 3.4.9, Ubuntu IVI Remix Beta 2, Zorin OS Educational 5.2, Linux kernel 3.1.6, Siduction 11.1 RC, KDE SC 4.8 Release Candidate, Scientific Linux 6.2 Beta 1, Tiny Core Linux 4.2 RC3, ClearOS Enterprise 6.2 Beta 2, Firefox 10.0 Beta 1, Calibre 0.8.32, Ubuntu Tweak 0.6.0, GNOME 3.3.3, and much more. For this week we've also prepared a very nice tutorial about how to customize your Ubuntu 11.10 desktop. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
On December 18th, Phil Miller proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.12 operating system. Dubbed Edn, Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.12 is now powered by Linux kernel 3.1.4 and KDE Software Compilation 4.7.4, as well as the latest LibreOffice 3.4.4 office suite, updated mesa-stack, sound-stack and initscripts.
Highlights of Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.12:
· Linux kernel 3.1.4;
· Alternative Linux kernel 184.108.40.206;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.7.4;
· Updated sound-stack;
· DVD ISO image that includes a nice selection of apps and all locales;
· Minimal CD ISO image that allows you to easily build your desktop on;
· Updated tomoyo-tools to version 2.5;
· wqy-microhei is now the new default font for Chinese/Japanese/Korean languages;
· QtWebkit 2.2;
· LibreOffice 3.4.4;
· initscripts was updated with an option to test systemd;
· Updated mesa-stack.
Download Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.12 now from Softpedia.
On December 19th, The Sabily developers proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the Sabily 11.10 operating system. Dubbed Uhud, Sabily 11.10 is based on the recently released Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system and features the Unity desktop interface. The release includes lots of new features and artwork, as well as various system improvements.
Highlights of Sabily 11.10:
· Based on Ubuntu 11.10;
· Linux Kernel 3.0;
· GNOME 3;
· Mozilla Thunderbird as the default email client;
· Déjà Dup system backup utility;
· LightDM login manager;
· Improved Gwibber;
· New artwork and wallpapers;
· New login manager theme;
· New boot screen theme;
· Added GNOME Shell;
· Improved support for GNOME 3;
· Added support for configurable themes;
· Added Prayer times reminder and azan player;
· Added Arabic Naskh-style typographically oriented font;
· Alfanous, an Quranic search engine;
· gnome-shell-extension-islamic-datetime: a GNOME Shell extension that provides Islamic time/date functions;
· GNOME Tweak Tool: an utility to customize GNOME 3 options.
Download Sabily 11.10 now from Softpedia.
On December 20th, Karanbir Singh announced the immediate availability of the CentOS 6.2 operating system for download for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. The highly-anticipated CentOS 6.2 operating system is, of course, based on the acclaimed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 distribution, bringing all its features, with which is 100% binary compatible.
The CentOS 6.2 Linux operating system also includes packages from all variants, even if it is based on the upstream Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 release. Moreover, the developers combined all of the upstream repositories into a single one, making things easier for all end users. Users of older CentOS releases, like CentOS 4 or CentOS 5, have no way of upgrading directly to the new CentOS 6 release. Therefore, the development team recommends a fresh install. This is not a CentOS limitation, it's a Red Hat EL one!
Download CentOS 6.2 Install DVD now from Softpedia.
Download CentOS 6.2 Live CD/DVD now from Softpedia.
· We know that many of you don't like how Unity looks and acts, therefore this step-by-step tutorial was created for the Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system to teach you how to change the looks of your Linux desktop into an eye-candy, more practical, simple and modern workstation.
At the request of our readers we have decided to revive our usual desktop customization tutorial for the Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system, because of Unity (again).
Read the complete tutorial here.
· For this week we've posted a 720p high-definition video clip that presents a fairly comprehensive review the Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating system. The video has 13 minute and 12 seconds, and it was posted by InfinitelyGalactic. Enjoy!
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.