The following Linux-based operating systems have been announced last week: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate and openSUSE 12.1. In other news: Softpedia introduced MyUnity, a small system utility for Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) which allows you to configure the Unity interface; Mandriva unleashed Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2011. Softpedia Linux Blog news includes articles about Firefox 9, Kororaa 14 EOL, SuperTuxKart 0.7.3, RHEL 6.2, Linux Kernel 3.2 RC2, openSUSE 12.1, Firefox 11 Alpha, GNOME 3.2.2, Chrome OS Linux 1.7.932, Desura for Linux, and more. For this week we've also prepared a very nice tutorial about how to install Firefox 9.0 in Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 11.04. The weekly ends with the video clip of the week, the new and updated Linux distributions, and the development releases.
· Announced Distro: openSUSE 12.1
· In Other News: MyUnity and Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2011
· Softpedia Linux Blog: Firefox 9, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, GNOME 3.2.2, and more...
· Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 9 in Ubuntu 11.10 and 11.04
· Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu UDS P Orlando Interviews - Jason Warner Ubuntu Desktop
· New Distributions: Commodore OS Vision 1.0 Beta, Kuine Linux 1.0 and Pear OS Linux 2.5
· Distributions Updated Last Week: 4MLinux 3.1 and Incognito Live CD/USB 0.9
· Development Releases: ThinStation 2.4 Alpha 1, Pinguy OS 11.10 Beta, Chrome OS 1.7.932 RC, and more...
On November 12th, Clement Lefebvre proudly announced that the Release Candidate version of the upcoming Linux Mint 12 operating system is available for download and testing. Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) RC features a new user interface called MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions), which will look like a normal desktop. It is also the first Linux Mint distribution built on top of the new GNOME 3.2 desktop environment.
The new user interface of Linux Mint 12 will feature a bottom panel, an application launcher, a window list with currently running apps, a task-centric desktop (i.e. you switch between windows, not applications) and visible system tray icons. Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) will also features MATE, a GNOME 2 fork compatible with the GNOME 3 desktop environment, available only in the DVD edition.
Download Linux Mint 12 RC now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development release and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended to be used for testing purposes only.
On November 16th, the openSUSE development team proudly announced the immediate availability for download of the highly anticipated openSUSE 12.1 operating system. openSUSE 12.1 is available right now (see download links at the end of the article) for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, distributed as Live CDs with KDE and GNOME desktop environments, as well as an installable DVD.
Highlights of openSUSE 12.1:
· Linux kernel 3.1.0;
· KDE Software Compilation 4.7.2;
· Xen 4.1;
· GNOME 3.2.1 desktop environment;
· Xfce 4.8;
· X.Org Server 7.6;
· Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1;
· Amarok 2.4.3;
· KTorrent 4.1.2;
· K3b 2.0.2;
· Apper software management tool;
· Oyranos color management tool;
· ownCloud2 integration;
· Amazon EC2 cloud support;
· virt-manager and open-vm-tools to easily manage VirtualBox and KVM;
· Google Go programming language;
· systemd init system;
· Snapper integration into zypper;
· GCC 4.6.2.
Download openSUSE 12.1 DVD now from Softpedia.
Download openSUSE 12.1 KDE Live CD now from Softpedia.
Download openSUSE 12.1 GNOME Live CD now from Softpedia.
· On November 15th, Softpedia presented MyUnity, a small system utility for Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) that can handle the customization of the Unity Launcher and Panel. MyUnity is an independent configurator (yes, that means you don't need other third party tools) and above all it just works. The Italian developer Fabio Colinelli released version 1.0.5 or MyUnity, a version which brought numerous fixes and improvements, and English translation. However, the release was still an Italian only version. Read more about it here.
· On November 16th, Mandriva proudly announced the immediate availability of Mandriva Powerpack 2011, the complete edition of the Mandriva Linux operating system. In the press release, Mandriva says that Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2011 offers one of the most advanced Linux operating systems to date, with new functionalities to revolutionize the Linux desktop. Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2011 has built-in support for many hardware components, which makes it a stable and reliable OS for all users. Mandriva Linux Powerpack 2011 contains a lot of commercial products, such as Nvidia, ATI/AMD, Intel, VIA drivers, Java, Opera, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Codeweaver CrossOver, and multimedia codecs. Read more about it here.
Softpedia Linux Blog:
· Astaro Security Gateway 8.300 Enters Beta
· VirtualBox 4.1.6 Available for Download
· Pinguy OS 11.10 Beta Because GNOME 3.2 Not Mature
· Fedora Scholarship Program Opened for Students
· BitRock InstallBuilder 8.0 Available for Download
· Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Will Not Support Old CPUs
· Kubuntu 12.04 LTS and Lubuntu 12.04 Highlights
· Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS Highlights
· Joomla 1.7.3 Available for Download
· Red Hat Certifies SGI UV 1000 Server
· Kororaa 14 Is No Longer Supported
· First Automotive Linux Summit Held in Japan
· SuperTuxKart 0.7.3 Features Minigolf Track
· Linux Kernel Vulnerability Affects Ubuntu 11.10 OMAP4
· RHEL 6.2 Will Support AMD's Bulldozer Opterons
· New ATI Video Driver Supports openSUSE 12.1
· Download Linux Kernel 3.2 RC2 Now
· openSUSE 12.1 Screenshot Tour
· Download Firefox 11 Alpha for Ubuntu 11.10
· GNOME 3.2.2 Has Been Released
· Jason Warner Interview About Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop
· Chrome OS Linux 1.7.932 Has Google Music Manager
· Gaming on Linux, Now a Reality with Desura
Tutorial of the Week: How to Install Firefox 9 in Ubuntu 11.10 and 11.04
· The following tutorial will teach Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) and Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) users how to update their systems to the Mozilla Firefox 9.0 web browser.
At the request of many of our readers, we've created the following tutorial to guide them with the installation of the upcoming Mozilla Firefox 9.0 web browser in the Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) and Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) operating systems.
Read the complete tutorial here.
Video Clip of the Week: Ubuntu UDS P Orlando Interviews - Jason Warner Ubuntu Desktop
· For this week we've posted an interesting video clip with Jason Warner's interview at the Ubuntu UDS P Orlando event. The video has 5 minutes and 13 seconds, and it was posted by ubuntudevelopers. Enjoy!
· Commodore OS Vision 1.0 Beta
· Kuine Linux Base 1.0
· Kuine Linux MySQL 1.0
· Kuine Linux PgSQL 1.0
· Kuine Linux Sugar 1.0
· Kuine Linux Kuane 1.0
· Pear OS Linux 2.5
Distributions Updated Last Week:
· 4MLinux 3.1
· Incognito Live CD/USB 0.9
· Astaro Security Gateway 8.270 Beta
· ThinStation 2.4 Alpha 1
· Pinguy OS 11.10 Beta
· Chrome OS 1.7.932 RC
See you again at the end of next week for another issue of Softpedia Linux Weekly.