Lars Torben Kremer has announced this weekend, June 16th, the immediate availability for download and testing of the Release Candidate of the Snowlinux 2 KDE edition operating system.Dubbed Ice, Snowlinux 2 KDE is based on the Debian 6 (Squeeze) operating system and it is powered by the LTS (Long Term Support) Linux kernel 2.6.32 and KDE Software Compilation 4.4.
Snowlinux 2 KDE RC comes with the Chromium web browser, Icedove emai client, Banshee music player and Shotwell image viewer. It is 100% compatible with the Ubuntu software repositories.
"Snowlinux 2 "Ice" is based upon Debian 6 "Squeeze". It comes with the long-term-support (LTS) Linux kernel 2.6.32 and KDE 4.4 which were made available upstream."
"It has installed chromium-browser, icedove, banshee and shotwell by default," the official release announcement stated.
Highlights of Snowlinux 2 KDE RC Edition:
· Baseon on Debian 6;
· Linux kernel 2.6.32 (LTS);
· Chromium 18;
· Updated packages;
· OpenJDK 6 Java;
· Ubuntu font;
· Better installer with support for UUID in fstab and keyboard variants);
· New look and feel;
· Fushigi-Plasma-Theme theme;
· Snowlinux KDM theme;
· Snowlinux KSplash theme;
· Snowlinux bootloader theme
· Better software selection;
· Better response and speed;
· Support for contrib, non-free, and debian-multimedia software repositories;
· Added terminal colors;
· Added delete permanently function;
· Added Open in Terminal function;
· Added Open as Administrator function;
· Lots of system improvements.
Snowlinux 2 KDE RC - Image courtesy of Lars Torben Kremer
The developer of the Snowlinux operating system recommends the following system requirements in order to install this KDE edition on your machine:
· An x86 processor;
· At least 512 MB memory;
· At least 4 GB free disk space;
· A graphics card capable of 800x600 resolution;
· A CD-ROM drive or USB port.
Snowlinux 2 KDE Edition is distributed as Live CDs for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. The distribution will be supported for five years, until February 2014.
Download Snowlinux 2 KDE RC right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.
Follow us on Google+