Snowlinux 4 XFCE Distro Is Based on Linux Kernel 3.5
The latest version of this distribution can be downloaded from Softpedia
On January 21, Lars Torben Kremer announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the Snowlinux 4 XFCE final version.Just like the previous release, Snowlinux 4 XFCE is based on Debian GNU/LInux 7.0 “Wheezy” and makes use of Linux Kernel 3.5.
The developer has chosen to provide two separate images, one for each desktop environment. They are pretty similar, but they also have some pretty important differences.
Highlights of Snowlinux 4 XFCE:
• The distribution is based on Linux kernel 3.5. The main reason for this choice are the support for the various filesystems and for the new Nvidia Kepler graphic cards;
• The desktop environment in use, XFCE, was updated to version 4.10, although the underlying Debian “Wheezy” still uses 4.8;
• LightDM has been used for the login process;
• The Snowlinux-Metal-Theme has been improved;
• The Snowlinux-Metal-Icons has been improved;
• Mozilla Firefox was updated to version 17;
• Mozilla Thunderbird was updated to version 17;
• Snowlinux HD backgrounds have been implemented;
• The speed and response of the operating system has been improved.
Among other features, it includes popular software such as Firefox 17, Thunderbird 17, LibreOffice, Shotwell, and Pidgin, not to mention a lot of improved themes.
The life cycle of the Snowlinux 4 XFCE distribution is pretty hefty and the support is scheduled to last until February 2016. This is possible mostly because the distribution is 100% compatible with the Debian repositories.
The system requirements are pretty solid too: x86-CPU, 256 MB memory, 2 GB free disk space, a graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution, and a CD-ROM drive or a USB port.
Unlike the E17 version, which will not fit on one CD, the XFCE variant is smaller and the image will be CD compatible.
Check out the official announcement for a complete list of changes and improvements.
Download Snowlinux 4 XFCE right now from Softpedia.
Snowlinux 4 XFCE desktop
HOT RIGHT NOW