On February 11, Lars Torben Kremer announced the immediate availability for download and testing of the Snowlinux 4 Cinnamon & E17 non-PAE final versions.
Snowlinux 4 has been dubbed Glacier and it's based on Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (Wheezy). It also comes with Cinnamon 1.6.7 and E17.1.
Among other features, it includes popular software such as Firefox 17, Thunderbird 17, LibreOffice, Shotwell, and Pidgin, not to mention a lot of improved themes.
“While the Cinnamon edition is using Linux 3.5, the E17 edition is using Linux 3.2 non-PAE to support older PCs, too. The Cinnamon edition is using Cinnamon 1.6.7 and the E17 edition is using E17.1.
There we introduced many new features like snowMount, the Snowlinux mount tool for drives. We changed the default color of our Snowlinux-Metal-Theme from green to blue and updated our Icon set,” stated Lars Torben Kremer, developer of Snowlinux, in the official release announcement.
The developer also provides two separate images, one with Cinnamon and the other one with E17.1.
Highlights of Snowlinux 4 Cinnamon & E17 non-PAE:
• Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 7.0;
• Linux 3.5 and Linux 3.2 non-PAE have been made available;
• Cinnamon 1.6.7 was integrated into the distribution;
• The SnowMount system has been implemented;
• Snowlinux LightDM greeter;
• Snowlinux Plymouth theme;
• Improved Snowlinux-Metal-Theme;
• Improved Snowlinux-Metal-Icons;
• Firefox 17;
• Thunderbird 17;
• Snowlinux HD backgrounds;
• Updated software;
• Improved speed and response;
• Various system improvements have been implemented.
According to the developer, Snowlinux 4 "Glacier" is supported until February 2016 and it is 100% compatible with Debian's Repository.
The system requirements are also posted in the official announcement and are quite low: an x86-CPU, 256 MB memory, 2 GB free disk space, a graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution, and CD-ROM drive or USB port.
Because of the size of the content, the image will not fit on a normal 700 MB CD. Please use a DVD or a USB drive.