Lars Torben Kremer proudly announced yesterday, August 19th, the immediate availability for download of the stable release of the Snowlinux 3 Xfce Edition operating system.
Dubbed Crystal, Snowlinux 2 Xfce is based on the Debian 6 (Squeeze) operating system and it's powered by the LTS (Long Term Support) Linux kernel 3.2 and the Xfce 4.8.4 desktop environment.
This release is 100% compatible with Debian's software repositories, and it is supported with security updates and patches until February 2014.
"Due drastic changes with Gnome 3 and Unity, XFCE is growing more and more up. XFCE is quite similar to the most popular Desktop environment Gnome 2 and offers an alternative for all former Gnome 2 users. This is one of the reason why Snowlinux XFCE got so much new features and improvements."
"It should not lack some features and functions which are available in the main edition. We are trying to let XFCE act like Gnome 2 and to offer an alternative for all former Gnome 2 users," said Lars Torben Kremer in the official release announcement.
Highlights of Snowlinux 3 Xfce Edition:
· Based on Debian 6 (Squeeze);
· Linux kernel 3.2 (LTS);
· Xfce 4.8.4;
· Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1;
· Mozilla Thunderbird 14;
· Added Linux-Firmware-Nonfree to support more hardware;
· DuckDuckGo search engine;
· Black terminal background;
· Better software selection;
· Better response and speed;
· New look and feel;
· Updated packages and software;
· Lots of system improvements.
Recommended hardware requirements for Snowlinux 2 Xfce:
· An x86 processor;
· At least 256 MB memory;
· At least 2 GB free disk space;
· A graphics card capable of 800x600 resolution;
· A CD-ROM drive or USB port.
Snowlinux 3 Xfce Edition is distributed as Live CDs for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.
Download Snowlinux 3 Xfce right now from Softpedia.