Although it was only expected to see daylight on Friday when Windows 8 goes on sale, the new version of Skype especially aimed at this OS version is now available in the Windows Store.
Of course, the app is heavily optimized for touchscreens, so those using a Surface RT or any other tablet running Windows 8 should get the best experience with the new build.
Just like any other Modern App, it loads in full-screen, but it can also run in the background with a minimum footprint on system resources.
The app uses the built-in Windows 8 notification system, so you’ll be alerted whenever someone calls you or sends you a message.
You can easily configure the program by clicking on the “Settings” charm, with dedicated options for both camera and microphones.
Especially optimized to use only minimum battery power, the new Skype for Windows 8 can even work with Windows Live Messenger and Outlook.com contacts, offering you a single interface to chat with any of your friends.
Here are all the main features of the app, as they’re displayed on the official product page in the Windows Store:
- Once you sign in, the app is always on without draining your device's battery, so you can take calls any time.
- Exchange instant messages with all your Skype, Messenger and Outlook.com contacts.
- Call any phone quickly and easily from Skype.
- All Skype-to-Skype video and voice calls are free.
- Your messages are delivered straight to you no matter what you're doing.
- Snap your IM or video call window left or right so you can do more things while catching up.