Canadian mobile phone maker Research In Motion is hard at work with the development of its software solutions for the BlackBerry smartphones in the enterprise area. It was not to long ago when the company delivered the Service Pack 1 for its BlackBerry Enterprise Server, followed by a patch for some PDF vulnerabilities the solution was discovered to come around with, and now we learn that a maintenance update for BES has been released.
Among the most important features that new software solution
comes around with, we can count full certification for working with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, enhancements to the BlackBerry Administration Service, and to the BlackBerry Monitoring Service home page, support for Microsoft Exchange Web Services, and for Microsoft SQL Server 2008, as well as support for Windows Internet Explorer version 8.
The release notes (a short version from intomobile
) also include:- BlackBerry device dashboard
- Changes to the BlackBerry Configuration Database schema
- Changes to the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service
- Database component page in the BlackBerry Monitoring Service
- DSML support
- Enhancements to the user creation process in the BlackBerry Administration Service
- Enhancements to the calendar synchronization process
- Improved log file information so that you can troubleshoot issues with the BlackBerry Attachment Service
- Language support
- Microsoft Active Directory authentication with a Microsoft Exchange resource forest
- New administrative permissions
- New IT policy rules
- Support for importing Wi-Fi profiles and VPN profiles from a .csv file
- Support for .odp files and .ods files on BlackBerry devices
- Support for notification messages over HTTPS for BlackBerry MDS Runtime
For what it's worth, there are a wide range of other fixes and improvements that BlackBerry Enterprise Server
administrators might want to learn about, including a series of security issues that have been fixed in this release, or fixes for application setup or performance, and they can all be found here
(PDF link). The BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 with Service Pack 1 and Maintenance Release 1 is available for download on RIM's website here
, where those already using BES 5.0 can download only the SP 1 and Maintenance Release 1.