Marc Poirette proudly announced last evening, June 24th, that the PureOS 5.0 Linux operating system is available for download.
Powered by Linux kernel 3.3.6 and based on the latest Debian Testing packages, PureOS 5.0 comes now with the GNOME 3.4.2 desktop environment, providing both GNOME Shell and GNOME Classic desktop sessions.
PureOS 5.0 uses free software replacements for Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird products, such as Iceweasel 13.0 web browser and Icedove 10.0 email client.
Highlights of PureOS 5.0:
· Based on Debian Testing;
· Linux kernel 3.3.6;
· GNOME 3.4.2 desktop environment;
· LibreOffice 3.5.4 office suite (includes Calc, Impress, Writer and Draw);
· GIMP 2.8.0 image editor;
· Iceweasel 13.0 web browser;
· Icedove 10.0 email client;
· Transmission 2.52 torrent downloader;
· FileZilla 3.5.3 FTP client;
· Banshee 2.4.1 music player and organizer;
· VLC Media Player 2.0.1;
· Brasero 3.2.0 CD/DVD writer;
· Evince 3.4.0 document viewer;
· Eye of Gnome 3.4.1 image viewer;
· GParted 0.11.0 hard drive partitioner;
· CUPS 1.5.3 printing server;
· GCC 4.7.0 compiler;
· Added the smxi and sgfxi scripts;
· Added the following Nautilus actions and scripts for module management: debs2lzm, activate, debs2lzm-file, lzm2dir, dir2lzm and find2lzm.
PureOS 5.0 comes with support for the following countries: French, Belgium, Canada, Switzerland, USA, UK, Australia, Denmark, Ireland, India, Czech, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Spain, Sweden, and Turkey.
PureOS is a Linux operating system that aims to provide a live environment based on the latest Debian Testing release. It is based on the GNOME desktop environment and features LibreOffice, the Iceweasel web browser and Icedove email client, as well as GIMP and VLC among other notable packages.
There is also a stripped-down version called PureOSlight. PureOS 5.0 is distributed as a multilingual Live DVD/USB ISO or torrent image with support for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.
Download PureOS 5.0 right now from Softpedia.