The new and improved DreamStudio Unity 12.04.3 has been announced by Dick MacInnis on the official website of the distribution.As the name implies, DreamStudio Unity 12.04.3 is based on Ubuntu 12.04.3 (Precise Pangolin) and benefits from the same five-year support period.
“We’re proud to announce the official release of DreamStudio Unity 12.04.3. Now with over 100,000 downloads, our latest release makes this the best open source software suite for graphics, audio, and especially video editing,” Dick MacInnis states in the announcement.
Probably the biggest change in the distribution is the addition of Lightworks for Linux Beta. The developers are providing a special ISO that also includes this software.
“The long awaited Lightworks for Linux Beta is included in a special 64-bit Installation ISO (it’s currently only available as a binary, with no x86 support), so you can try it out from a LiveUSB or DVD without having to install,” MacInnis also says.
Keep in mind though that Lightworks Linux Beta needs to be registered. According to the developers, Lightworks has been the editing platform of choice in movies such as Pulp Fiction and Braveheart.
Highlights of DreamStudio Unity 12.04.3:
• CinePaint 1.0 has been included in the distribution and DreamStudio is the only operating system that has it by default;
• Ardour has been updated to version 3.2, which includes a new video track;
• Cinelerra has been updated to version 4.4, it's included by default, and features a brand new “Light” UI theme;
• SlowMoVideo has been updated to version 0.3. The application no longer requires Nvidia drivers in order to work;
• SynfigStudio has been updated to version 0.64 and has been reincluded in the distribution;
• Ivy Bridge support has been added with the latest Linux kernel.
A complete list of new features can be found in the official announcement.
Download DreamStudio Unity 12.04.3 right now from Softpedia. You can also get the Lightworks version of the distribution.