Citing the usual industry sources with connections to Apple’s production partners, trade publication DigiTimes reports that Taiwan-based companies included in the supply chain for iPhone 5 and iPad 3 have begun to prepare production materials.
Both devices are expected to make their debut this September, the report
notes, with end users being able to buy them in October.
A large number of Apple partners are mentioned in the report, including Foxconn Electronics (who will assemble the goods); Simplo Technologies and Dynapack International Technology (battery manufacturing); TPK Holding and Wintek (touch panel modules); Catcher (chassis); and Largan Precision (cameras).
The tech-site goes to note that Simply is responsible for over half of Apple's total battery demand (65%). Dynapack is handling the remainder (35%).
Contrary to recent analyst reports saying that September would see the launch of two iPhones (including one rumored iPhone 4S), the Taiwanese sources specifically noted that Apple only plans to launch one new iPhone model.
This device is referred to as the ‘iPhone 5’.
Interestingly, the same sources also said that an iPad 3 has just recently been added to the production schedule.
Even so, both the iPhone 5 and the third-generation iPad are to undergo mass production this August, but only in small volumes.
Production volume will reportedly start picking up in September, and shipping is estimated for October.
It is unclear whether these sources are referring only to the iPhone 5 when they estimate shipping timeframes.
Apple launching a third-generation iPad this year (instead of 2012), is highly questionable.
The iPhone, on the other hand, is overdue for a refresh, if Apple wants to keep its annual refresh cycles alive.
Still, the sources talking to DigiTimes specifically noted that Apple has made up its mind about supplying the iPad 3 this year, with shipments of the entire iPad series of products (including the iPad 2) expected to go beyond the 15 million mark for the company’s fiscal quarter.
Apple’s entire iPad supply volume for fiscal 2011 reportedly stands a good chance to reach 40 million units shipped, if not more.