Porteus 3.0 RC1, a portable Linux operating system that can be installed on a USB device, CDROM, SD card, or hard drive, and based on the Linux Live Scripts, has been released by the Porteus Community.Porteus 3.0 RC1, also dubbed the Standard Desktop Edition, has been released for the 32-bit and 64-bit architectures and it's based on Slackware 14.1.
“This release sees a move to a slackware 14.1 base and a new Porteus Kiosk Web Wizard. We've also put together prepackaged modules for Google-Chrome, Opera, Libreoffice, Abiword, and printing/scanning software, which can be dropped in place to get out-of-the-box functionality! Please note that the ‘Development’ module will now need to be downloaded as a standalone module if you wish to compile additional software in Porteus,” reads the official announcement.
The developers have also implemented AMD and Nvidia video drivers and they can be found inside the “modules” and “drivers” folders.
Highlights of Porteus 3.0 RC1:
• The Linux kernel has been updated to version 3.12.4;
• The installation on MMC cards has been fixed and the udisks2 helper mounts the media under the /run directory;
• “changes-ro” cheatcode has been added and keeps saved changes in a frozen state. According to the developers, this will come in handy if you have set your system 'how you like' and do not want to make other modifications to it;
• The “utc” cheatcode which tell Porteus that the hardware clock is set to UTC time and not to localtime has been added;
• The squashfs multi-threaded decompression patch has been added;
• Support has been added for ACL and Security Labels, to all the filesystems that support these features.
A complete list of changes can be found in the official announcement.
Download Porteus KDE 2.1 / 3.0 RC1
Download Porteus LXDE 2.1 / 3.0 RC1
Download Porteus MATE 2.1 / 3.0 RC1
Download Porteus RazorQt 2.1 / 3.0 RC1
Download Porteus Xfce 2.1 / 3.0 RC1
Remember that this is a development version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.