It is now based on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
David Tavares, the developer of Pear Linux, has announced yesterday, September 13th, on Twitter, that the first Alpha version of the upcoming Pear Linux 6 operating system is now available for download and testing.Dubbed Bartlett, Pear Linux 6 Alpha 1 is now based on the latest LTS release of the Ubuntu OS and it is powered by Linux kernel 3.2 with support for PAE (Physical Address Extension).
"Alpha 1 is the first in a series of milestone images that will be released throughout the Pear Linux 6 development cycle."
"The Alpha images are known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs, while representing a very recent snapshot of Pear Linux 6," the official release announcement read.
Highlights of Pear Linux 6 Alpha 1:
· Based on Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (Precise Pangolin);
· Linux kernel 3.2 with PAE;
· Added Pear Linux Shell 6.0;
· Added Pear Linux Panel 1.0;
· Pear Linux Control Center;
· Updated Pear Appstore to version 6.0;
· Added new Pear Linux icons;
· Added new Pera Linux desktop theme
· Added new boot splash;
· Added new login screen;
· Added new desktop notification system;
· Updated lots of applications.
When the final version is released, users will need the following minimum system requirements for a fresh Pear Linux 6 installation:
· Intel Pentium III 500 MHz or higher CPU;
· At least 512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended);
· At least 8 GB HDD free space;
· Supported graphics card capable of 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution: Nvidia, ATI/AMD, Intel, SiS, Matrox, VIA (3D desktop effects require a video card with 3D acceleration).
Pear Linux 6 Alpha 1 is distributed as Live DVD ISO images supporting only the 32-bit architecture.
Download Pear Linux 6 Alpha 1 right now from Softpedia. Remember that this is an alpha version and it should NOT be installed on production machines. It is intended for testing purposes only.